Old Scaley

Took a mate down to Jacobs Well today. I thought there might be a few muddies around after the recent rain, and surely there will be plenty of flathead and a few whiting at this time of the year. 

Left the boat ramp around 7am with a high tide around mid morning so too much water to pump yabbies. We picked up some fresh prawns, small Phillies and a few live worms from the Gem on the way so I thought we had most bases covered as well as having plastics and hard bodies on board.  Dropped the pots in a spot that has produced good crabs before and headed towards the pin. Conditions were pretty good but there was an annoying little SE breeze making it hard to keep the drift right and keep the lines where we wanted them.  We started to catch a few small winter whiting so I used one as a live bait. A few minutes after dropping it in I had a hit and brought up a nice 52 cm flattie. I persevered with the live whiting tactic and got smashed a couple of times but didn’t get another hookup. A few summer whiting turned up and I thought we would be in for a good session but they were few and far between. I ended up with 4 around the 27 to 29 cm mark and my mate had the same. 

Once the tide turned the bite completely stopped. Still a bit too much fresh maybe? So off to the pots. I was very confident and when the first pot came up with a jumbo muddie I was pretty stoked, but alas, he was a she so no joy there. The next 3 pots yielded one female sandy and nothing else. so over all a tough day but at least I scored a feed.

00EB197D-2194-412A-9CF9-77C9314771DE.jpeg

69ABEE85-21F7-48AB-A71C-F53A67ED1DCB.jpeg

33 minutes ago, straddiebrad said:

some sweet fillets there mate shame there was no crabs to keep how did they taste

Thanks @straddiebrad, simple but delicious. I never get tired of a simple meal of crumbed fillets of fish caught that day teamed with a fresh salad. I think I could live on it. A muddie or two is a real bonus.

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

We picked up some fresh prawns, small Phillies and a few live worms

Good to see you at least got a few fish for the day.

What were you targeting with the horses, bullies ? 😛😂

You must've broken open a piggy bank to afford the worms ! Did they do the damage with the whiting ?

10 hours ago, ellicat said:

Good to see you at least got a few fish for the day.

What were you targeting with the horses, bullies ? 😛😂

You must've broken open a piggy bank to afford the worms ! Did they do the damage with the whiting ?

You are a funny man, @ellicat. Just goes to show you that predictive text, seniors and cocktail hour do not go together. And, yes, those worms are dear ang the whiting donlove them. Next I head there I want to make sure we start on a low tide so I can pump some yabbies and fish the incoming tide.  If you come along I am sure you will happily supervise said pumping from the safety and comfort of the tinny.

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2018 at 4:23 PM, Old Scaley said:

The next 3 pots yielded one female sandy and nothing else. so over all a tough day but at least I scored a feed.

Just saw this. still a good day out. A nice dinner there anyhow. Thanks for the report. 

I missed a stack of posts a while ago so am wading through a few. 

On 13/12/2018 at 9:37 AM, Drop Bear said:

Just saw this. still a good day out. A nice dinner there anyhow. Thanks for the report. 

I missed a stack of posts a while ago so am wading through a few. 

Drop Bear I am the same for some reason I am seeing posts that I seemed to have missed. I try and log on every few days. Perhaps I missed them during my last two months of uni. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived