jon

Just a Quick report from last week. Headed out for my first go at trolling for the season hoping for a big wahoo. Weather was absolute crap and nothing like predictions and there was rainy storms about. Not much luck on the troll so grabbed some lives and headed for the bouy. We dropped heaps of fish but landed about five none of them were anything to write home about, all about this size

389E8F49-3087-4334-AC6A-1E6514C76445.thumb.jpeg.f62fb2d91df541645e6eeb9760c26f66.jpeg

decided to head back in coz some peanut who was out there had shut the school down by trolling lures back and forth hard up against the bouy. Had one more quick troll before heading in at lunch. Managed to hook two of these lost one landed one so not to bad for a short trip.

( photo is back in the bay weather was far worse outside)

D3190B61-8073-4DC3-B9FD-1173B90361B1.thumb.jpeg.29138ebc571c3a63bef0c758fd8dbb8c.jpeg

2 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

nice going mate i plan to hit the bouy next week and do a bit of trolling whats the temp out there at the  moment?

24.8 degrees. If you can get big slimies they seem to be far more effective than the yakkas in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, benno573 said:

how big does the fish need to be before you smile in a photo @jon😂

Cracker hoo mate, would have loved to have heard the reel scream when it hit.

Smiling on the inside mate lol. Yeah it went for a cracking first run we chased It The boat for ages and it still took a while to wrangle

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow that is a huge wahoo. Cracker mate. Great stuff. I seem to always come up with yakkas and no Slimies out there. Any  tips? 

Try not to let your jigs hit the bottom if you’d sound a decent patch of bait they should hit it on the drop. If your only getting yakkas  try moving a few hundred metres and find another bait patch

Interesting feedback on locating bait as we struggled twice on the holidays just gone - found a couple of yakkas but the rest were a combination of small flathead, those emperors with the black dot on them (not moses), whiptails and other 'stuff'. Perhaps we just needed to sound around more - not going out there regularly it's always a bit of a conundrum whether to spend more time looking (but not being confident you'll find what you're looking for ....) or just cut your losses and head out and start fishing.

Cracker hoo by the way Sef - I thought I'd already replied but seems I haven't. Do they eat well at that size? Much different to Spanish macks?

14 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Interesting feedback on locating bait as we struggled twice on the holidays just gone - found a couple of yakkas but the rest were a combination of small flathead, those emperors with the black dot on them (not moses), whiptails and other 'stuff'. Perhaps we just needed to sound around more - not going out there regularly it's always a bit of a conundrum whether to spend more time looking (but not being confident you'll find what you're looking for ....) or just cut your losses and head out and start fishing.

Cracker hoo by the way Sef - I thought I'd already replied but seems I haven't. Do they eat well at that size? Much different to Spanish macks?

Spanish Mack’s taste better hands down imo. But I still enjoy wahoo just don’t over cook it. Don’t find the size of the wahoo changes taste a great deal. If you are getting flatties and other undesirables you are most likely letting your jig hit the bottom which isnt always necessary. Adding a tiny piece of bait to the jig can help in getting the bigger livies. 

28 minutes ago, jon said:

We hooked one on each. Fish landed was on a hex head, they love a fast troll around 14 knots

Thanks, I have hex heads ready that will troll at 14 knots.

What speed can you get a diver to troll at?

The best I can do without a blow out is 9 knots.

It’s hard to get something working a14 without blowing out. And unfortunately it can come down to the individual lure as I’ve had some of same model that didn’t do as well as others you should be able to confidently get CD 18s over ten knots. Also try x wrap magnums and classic blue water f18s 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

How did you go @jon at Caloundra Wide? Was thinking it might be worth just going straight north tomorrow morning from Scarborough for 5m or 12 mile 

Yeah no good at Caloundra . We chipped away all day for a pretty average box of fish.resorted to heading to some wrecks in 140m just get to some 40 to 50 cm squire Had one good fish all day a cobia about 15 kg which escaped during gaffshot.

23 hours ago, jon said:

Yeah no good at Caloundra . We chipped away all day for a pretty average box of fish.resorted to heading to some wrecks in 140m just get to some 40 to 50 cm squire Had one good fish all day a cobia about 15 kg which escaped during gaffshot.

Bugger....got to get up that way myself. I do hear it's pretty good with lots of peaks etc close by ... just need to find them I guess. 

Archived