Fishing Plan & Report - Northern Moreton Bay 3/4 November 2018

Poddymullet

Bit the bullet and bought a new sounder...the Lowrance run out sale is just too good to say no too. Did pick up a Carbon HDS3 9 Inch with Total Scan minus maps for $1699, but decided to skimp a little and get the EliteTI9 with totalscan and maps for $999. It's being installed as we speak and I am ready hit the water ASAP. 

But the wind forecast this weekend is looking less than ideal with +15kt northerlies forecast from lunchtime this Saturday. 

Will share where I end up and some pictures from the sounder fish or not...

Maybe nautical mile might be worth hitting up early again ... thoughts? Hit me up 

hey mate,

hope the sounder install goes well.  it will make a huge difference to your fishing success.

With the forecast as it is, I would not be heading to open waters of the bay this weekend.  15kn+ northerly will mean at least a metre of chop, really at all comfortable and not really safe for smaller boats.  It gets a bit better once you get south of peel but still can be pretty yuck, especially if you get a wind vs tide situation.  Also, looking at the synoptic charts, i think the 15kn+ mark will start Friday arvo and only get worse from there.  you'll generally find the bay shuts down in a decent N-NE as well.

There's some great sheltered fishing down around the 'pin, launching at jacobs well would be a better option, cabbage tree point is very exposed in a northerly.  Excellent time of year for flathead, whiting and grunter if that kind of stuff tickles your pickle.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Talk about a very tardy update but never got out on the weekend. Dealer called to say the boat wouldn’t be ready ... waiting on carbon fibre from Quintrex. So weekend was spent DIY etc and actually was worth it 🙂 

Best news is that it’s ready and have it at back. Planning on going this Saturday morning for a cape sessions methinks but also trying to find some peaks along the way with the new sounder. 

Here is  what it looks like. Must admit I have been happy with all my interactions with Brisbane Yamaha so give em a go unless you heard different.

FB5CB574-BF2D-474D-8808-42223B6D6DB0.jpeg

Looks good.  Another option for you on Saturday would be to jump on board with @Luvit who is chasing a deckie. Might be a good learning experience as I think he is planning on heading out around the Cape. See his thread titled 'Hervey Bay Dash Change of Location, Deckie Spot Available'. He knows what he's doing and would be a top day out. He's not a bad bloke, for a Victorian ........ :whistle:

23 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Looks good.  Another option for you on Saturday would be to jump on board with @Luvit who is chasing a deckie. Might be a good learning experience as I think he is planning on heading out around the Cape. See his thread titled 'Hervey Bay Dash Change of Location, Deckie Spot Available'. He knows what he's doing and would be a top day out. He's not a bad bloke, for a Victorian ........ :whistle:

I’d love too but I’ve got to get my boat in the water ... got to blow the webs off. @Luvit are you still going?

Better than me. Took a bit of time getting to the Scarborough 🙂 (zzzzz) so got  on water around 8pm. Wasn’t sure what the wind was going to do so just hung around north reef testing the sounder and then doing a couple of runs down to woody point and back. Sounder works great...now time to spend some time at the cape 🙂  love the side scan but working it together with the down scan is going to take a bit more time. 

@straddiebrad how’d you go?

On 12/11/2018 at 7:19 AM, Poddymullet said:

Better than me. Took a bit of time getting to the Scarborough 🙂 (zzzzz) so got  on water around 8pm. Wasn’t sure what the wind was going to do so just hung around north reef testing the sounder and then doing a couple of runs down to woody point and back. Sounder works great...now time to spend some time at the cape 🙂  love the side scan but working it together with the down scan is going to take a bit more time. 

@straddiebrad how’d you go?

mate had a good run out off straddie on the 14th got 2 amberjacks a cod a one dolphin fish lost a few unstoppables  too witch is why only on dolphin fish,got sick of being busted off so went to the wave rider with 2 livies lost one and boated one they wouldnt take a pillie or soft plastic so headed home

On 16/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, straddiebrad said:

mate had a good run out off straddie on the 14th got 2 amberjacks a cod a one dolphin fish lost a few unstoppables  too witch is why only on dolphin fish,got sick of being busted off so went to the wave rider with 2 livies lost one and boated one they wouldnt take a pillie or soft plastic so headed home

Great to hear you got out mate. What do you think the unstopables were? 

15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I always think of that when people say that you need to have light gear on reefs etc. Im sure you probably catch more fish but you will miss the trophies. I would love to put together something really awesome to stop the big stuff. 

i run a TL25 with 80LB braid on a 24kg stand up rod.  only been bricked once so far at a spot up along fraser we like to call F Big, suspect it was a huge cod that did it.

On the flip side, it is however an absolute pain in the rear end using such gear if you snag up.

On 22/11/2018 at 9:05 AM, benno573 said:

i run a TL25 with 80LB braid on a 24kg stand up rod.  only been bricked once so far at a spot up along fraser we like to call F Big, suspect it was a huge cod that did it.

On the flip side, it is however an absolute pain in the rear end using such gear if you snag up.

Thats the go.

Archived