Top Tip Of Moreton

Andrex

Hi All,

I have recently returned to Brisbane after a 20 year absence.  I plan to take my 5.4 Mtr boat with 140HP out to the top tip of Moreton on Wednesday.  Seabreeze says 10 knot winds and 1.5 metre seas.  That sounds like good weather (based on where I come from) but is that true?  Does that make Wednesday a good day for that trip?

Thanks Champ!  Just returned from Kangaroo Island in South OZ and there, anything under 4 mtrs is a day of celebration.  My problem is I am taking family with me who are not used to what I am used to so needed a bit of local knowledge.  What I think is a good day may not be by local standards. 

Cheers!

Welcome aboard @Andrex and welcome back although I am from Sydney originally 🙂 

As @Luvit said you should be fine ... I am still learning the area myself! I keep a constant watch on MetEye myself ... all I think about is fishing 🙃

What kind of boat do you have? Must have some pretty insane stories of fishing down that way...always wanted to go after King George Whiting, not to mention some of the Kings and Snapper. 

Hey mate,

anything 12kn and under and you’ll be fine. The bay is shallow generally so can chop up. In winter time generally calmer afternoons, summer we generally get a N/NE sea breeze kick up from about lunch time, can make for a choppy run back. It is a decent run out from brisbane, budget 100-120km for fuel etc, depending on launch location. Use channel 21 on vhf for the cape moreton repeater station.

other tip would be to be a bit careful going around the NW tip of moreton (combyoro point), especially on an outgoing tide. Can jack up a fair bit here with a bit of swell running.

Heaps of good ground out there to find a fish and great scenery to boot. Hope you have a good one, look forward to reading the report. 👍

Archived