SalvLax

57 minutes ago, SalvLax said:

Hey everyone

Went out to Tingalpa Creek to check out the area and was hoping to try and catch some bream and flathead and ended up with a little Jewfish. This is my second jewfish ever and first on a plastic caught from a boardwalk near to the mouth of Tingalpa Creek right near the canoe club. 

Didn’t expect this fish, was not going for this species at all and it certainly put my new light rod to the test. Was only small for a Jewfish 58cm but with 8lb braid and 6lb leader I didn’t think the line would hold.

Now I’m wondering if people regularly catch them in here or was I just lucky and if so how big can they get in this system ? 

D621B81E-9F5B-48F6-96F9-1BDAE3512275.jpeg

Hi SalvLax

Yes mate they grow much bigger in the Tingalpa Creek/Lota Creek system, i grew up in Wynnum and used to fish the system regularly before I started chasing girls, if you have access to a boat or kayak with a sounder, take a trip upstream as there used to be a few good holes and a good rock bar up past the rail bridge in Tingalpa Creek just where the creek swings to the left, there was always good schoolies to 5kg around the bridge pilons at the bottom and top of the tide, particularly at night. Been a long time since I fished the area, however it used to be pretty good if you put in the effort, I used to fish out of an old 11ft hanimex aluminium boat that was pop  rivetted not welded and a 4hp evinrude 2 stroke , those were the days I reckon.

MSB

I remember finding that rock bar (and not in a good way) in my old boat that didn’t have a sounder on my first exploration of Tingalpa Creek. Took my revenge by fluking a nice little jack on bream gear off said rock bar. Used to be some interesting craft moored on that creek as well. Congrats on the jewie and thanks for sharing.

Back in the early nineties, my brother in law who lived at Lota and whom I used to fish with regularly, read a few reports in the local paper that there were reports of " blue salmon" being caught just up from the rail bridge in Tingalpa Creek, so he flogged it for a few weeks, and without any stretch of the imagination came up with 3 barramundi off that rock bar believe it or not, all the barra were over 60cm in length and very healthy, he kept at it over the next few years but never caught anymore and no more blue salmon reports have appeared since in the local rag, most likely escapees or put ins.

MSB

42 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

I remember finding that rock bar (and not in a good way) in my old boat that didn’t have a sounder on my first exploration of Tingalpa Creek. Took my revenge by fluking a nice little jack on bream gear off said rock bar. Used to be some interesting craft moored on that creek as well. Congrats on the jewie and thanks for sharing.

There sure was some interesting craft, the best one was the guy who had the 20 foot site office shed sitting on 2 pontoons, he added to it over the years, best addition had to be the beer garden complete with pot plants , side rails , bbq and undercover bar he built on the roof, accessed by an external ladder, magnificent innovation for the period , unfortunately got wrecked in the 74 flood , I last fished the creek in early 1976, everytime I go to visit my sister at Lota I just have to drive down and look at it from the Lota creek side, plenty of good memories in that place for me.

MSB

56 minutes ago, MSB said:

Back in the early nineties, my brother in law who lived at Lota and whom I used to fish with regularly, read a few reports in the local paper that there were reports of " blue salmon" being caught just up from the rail bridge in Tingalpa Creek, so he flogged it for a few weeks, and without any stretch of the imagination came up with 3 barramundi off that rock bar believe it or not, all the barra were over 60cm in length and very healthy, he kept at it over the next few years but never caught anymore and no more blue salmon reports have appeared since in the local rag, most likely escapees or put ins.

MSB

Wowsers Barra. That is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

I have seen the rock bar from the bridge and am very wary of tingalpa creek. Amazing to see the Jew and hear of your jack! I need to spend more time in it not driving over it. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Wowsers Barra. That is awesome. 

That was 42 years ago Drop Bear, unheard of at the time,  Old Scaleys jack was one of many come off that rock bar I can tell you, if you didn't know it was there you will hit it every time even at small high tides

5 hours ago, ellicat said:

I don't know the area but I guess where there is one there will be others.

Congratulations on the nice surprise. You must've angled it well.

4 hours ago, MSB said:

Hi SalvLax

Yes mate they grow much bigger in the Tingalpa Creek/Lota Creek system, i grew up in Wynnum and used to fish the system regularly before I started chasing girls, if you have access to a boat or kayak with a sounder, take a trip upstream as there used to be a few good holes and a good rock bar up past the rail bridge in Tingalpa Creek just where the creek swings to the left, there was always good schoolies to 5kg around the bridge pilons at the bottom and top of the tide, particularly at night. Been a long time since I fished the area, however it used to be pretty good if you put in the effort, I used to fish out of an old 11ft hanimex aluminium boat that was pop  rivetted not welded and a 4hp evinrude 2 stroke , those were the days I reckon.

MSB

Wow, good know there are bigger ones in there, might come prepared with slightly heavier  lines next time for a big one. Awesome, yeah I’ve gotta try the kayak again in there and get an anchor for it.

thanks MSB

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Wow, I’m wary to cast near those rocks, lost too many lures

However we’ll done Old Scaley, still yet to catch a jack! That would’ve been fun on the bream gear

8 hours ago, SalvLax said:

Wow, I’m wary to cast near those rocks, lost too many lures

However we’ll done Old Scaley, still yet to catch a jack! That would’ve been fun on the bream gear

Hi SalvLax, trick to fishing the rock bar so you don't go broke is with surface poppers at low tide, or a livie suspended under a small float with a short trace , metre max, post some more pics of your catches

MSB

On 22/11/2018 at 5:02 AM, MSB said:

Hi SalvLax, trick to fishing the rock bar so you don't go broke is with surface poppers at low tide, or a livie suspended under a small float with a short trace , metre max, post some more pics of your catches

MSB

Thanks MSB, 

Also from Tingalpa, but closer to Chadwell Street..Anyone know what these are ? My guess is estuary  Cod?

Brown fish with dark red spots. 2 of them, I thought they were the same when  I caught them but they look slightly different in colour and stripes.

Cheers.

1C8DE8E1-A4D9-43E7-9923-F73DEFC1A4DB.jpeg

E32898E3-571D-4928-83E7-56243904C0BC.jpeg

34 minutes ago, jhedrick said:

That's a a massive surprise. Good work getting it in on light gear. That's amazing. Definitely one of the species I'm going to target in the next few weeks for sure. 

What do they taste like? Worth keeping? 

Never tried eating one but apparently they’re very nice ! Good luck! I’ll be trying to get another one as well.

20 hours ago, jhedrick said:

That's a a massive surprise. Good work getting it in on light gear. That's amazing. Definitely one of the species I'm going to target in the next few weeks for sure. 

What do they taste like? Worth keeping? 

Mulloway and Estuary Cod are both great eating. Estuary Cod are my pick of the bunch. Hard to beat. Unless you get some venison... 🙂

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Sightcaster69 said:

Hey guys, 

I was up the creek a couple of weeks ago and I found the Jewies not legal but one at 50 and the other at 62  still cracking fish and an awsome fight on 6 pound. Just up from the road bridge on the bend. Holt prawns are the go. 

Good size fish. Were you casting randomly or towards structure?