Wind Speeds

Pattyb

Hi.

i am new to boating and am going to go for a fish at Raby Bay between the VMR and Peel Island. The wind, a WSW, is forecast to reach 12-14 knots. I will be in a 4.4 metre Stessl Apache Pro with a 40hp tiller steer. Will this wind cause the bay to be too rough and uncomfortable to fish in?

Im interested in everyone’s thoughts and any info about the Bay that might help me in the future.

Thanks in advance 

Pat

Hi Pat,

I have a similar set up with a 4.3m Stessco and 40hp Yammy in a side console arrangement. Thinking of getting out into the bay early Sunday myself actually. 

Personally I prefer 10kn and under for comfort in the bay and it's best not to have over 15kn coming home. Again mainly for comfort although I have driven back to the boat ramp in far worse. 

Saying this it also depends on the wind direction and tide as these change conditions in the bay. Opposing winds and tide directions make waves stand up. 

If I'm desperate to get out and the weather isn't ideal I can always hide behind islands, at least in the southern bay, for fishing then just take it easy on the way home in the afternoon chop. Even scooting between islands. 

I'm sure there are more experienced bay boaties on the forum with specific knowledge of what the water surface would typically be like given tomorrows forecast. I'm not sure if a westerly is better than an easterly or not. The bay is very large.

I think northerlies tend to chop things up because the swell has little resistance, starting up from bribie island and moreton and building as it heads south. 

Stay safe and best go with a buddy or two.

Thanks for the info Panther. Much appreciated.

i ended up going out on Friday morning. It wasn’t the best conditions but fishable. I hadn’t been out there before and ended up doing a bit of exploring around Peel Island to Horseshoe Bay- very nice. Can’t wait to take the family out for the day.

Although I only caught a little shark all day, it was bloody good to be out and about. I will definitely be back for more fishing and definitely a better look around.

Thanks again Panther. All the best for Sunday.. 

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, Pattyb said:

i ended up going out on Friday morning. It wasn’t the best conditions but fishable. I hadn’t been out there before and ended up doing a bit of exploring around Peel Island to Horseshoe Bay- very nice. Can’t wait to take the family out for the day.

Although I only caught a little shark all day, it was bloody good to be out and about. I will definitely be back for more fishing and definitely a better look around.

Pat

Glad you made it out. I hate being on the bay in 15 knots. I only have a 5m but it gets bumpy in that. The best trick if you get caught in something lumpy is to travel so that you are just off the plane. This way you displace a lot of water and your bow is high. 

Good luck with the next trip. I hope you catch. 

On 24/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, Pattyb said:

Pat

Well done on getting out there Pat, and on the shark catch. I didn't manage to get out Sunday. 

10kn as @Panther said is generally the cut-off for comfort in the bay.  That being said, 10kn with some wind vs tide in the more open parts of the bay and things can still get pretty choppy.  I guess it also depends on what you may class as "comfortable", that is a rather personal opinion.  15kn and over would potentially become unsafe for smaller vessels or less experienced boaties in the bay, you will get 4ft+ of short sharp chop in the open or exposed sections, especially if wind vs tide.

W/SW are one of the better winds for the bay as you get sheltered by the mainland, however, the further you head out the choppier it gets.  NE - NW are by far the worst, no shelter other than around the islands.

also - be cautious in summer as when the afternoon NE kicks up, the bay can go from flat and cruisy to choppy and yuck in the space of half an hour.

Archived