Half Day Charter Recommendations - Gold Coast

kmcrosby78

I wish I could remember the name of the half day charter that a mate arranged for us on the Gold Coast about 6 or 7 years ago so that I could NOT recommend it to you. He got the places cheap on Groupon.  The boat was dirty even when we first boarded and I think the deckie was still half cut from a big night the night before.  The bait on offer was something that used to be squid and some pillies that were on their third outing at least.  

The skipper was obviously trying to conserve fuel and turned south from the seaway and started fishing so close in to the beach at Surfers Paradise that I half-joked out loud that I could hear the lifesaver ordering us out of the flagged area. That didn’t go down too well with the skipper who told everyone it was a well known pearl perch spot, but they just weren’t firing today. I guess they were just not that interested in our slimy squid or the one third of a pillie that we were allowed.

One of the punters asked about the morning tea that was part of the deal and the deckie produced one pack of Sao biscuits (“sorry everyone, the wife forgot to pack the cheese and tomato”). Then, about 90 minutes in, a teenage boy on board who had been bragging all morning that he had been drinking since lunchtime the day before suddenly started heaving inside the boat (at least it looked like someone got some tomato at some stage) and the skipper declared it as too rough to continue and we headed back to the wharf. I think the total time on the water was about 2 hours.  Needless to say there were no fish on board.

I hope your brother has a better trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2018 at 2:01 PM, Old Scaley said:

I wish I could remember the name of the half day charter that a mate arranged for us on the Gold Coast about 6 or 7 years ago so that I could NOT recommend it to you. He got the places cheap on Groupon.  The boat was dirty even when we first boarded and I think the deckie was still half cut from a big night the night before.  The bait on offer was something that used to be squid and some pillies that were on their third outing at least.  

The skipper was obviously trying to conserve fuel and turned south from the seaway and started fishing so close in to the beach at Surfers Paradise that I half-joked out loud that I could hear the lifesaver ordering us out of the flagged area. That didn’t go down too well with the skipper who told everyone it was a well known pearl perch spot, but they just weren’t firing today. I guess they were just not that interested in our slimy squid or the one third of a pillie that we were allowed.

One of the punters asked about the morning tea that was part of the deal and the deckie produced one pack of Sao biscuits (“sorry everyone, the wife forgot to pack the cheese and tomato”). Then, about 90 minutes in, a teenage boy on board who had been bragging all morning that he had been drinking since lunchtime the day before suddenly started heaving inside the boat (at least it looked like someone got some tomato at some stage) and the skipper declared it as too rough to continue and we headed back to the wharf. I think the total time on the water was about 2 hours.  Needless to say there were no fish on board.

I hope your brother has a better trip.

wow that is a shocker.

On 28/11/2018 at 8:36 PM, aussie123 said:

well if anyone drops out and you end up with 7 people, smithy is the best option as far as I am concerned.

7 people also books the entire boat so you don't have to put up with a dozen others on a cattle boat

Do you have a contact for that mate? 

We might try to do one at Christmas. 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, aussie123 said:

well if anyone drops out and you end up with 7 people, smithy is the best option as far as I am concerned.

7 people also books the entire boat so you don't have to put up with a dozen others on a cattle boat

Yeah have heard he is good Lance. I'm not going on this trip and they're just tying it in with a boys weekend away on the Gold Coast so won't be able to go with Smithy unfortunately.

Archived