Sign in to follow this  
Drop Bear

Venison For A Hungry Drop Bear

Had a bambie pie in Tasmania once Drop Bear , pretty good too, looks like you got your wish , Venison for Xmas, thanks for the post, on another note, I was fishing Ningi Creek this morning opposite the piss poor excuse for a boat ramp, when I guy with a flat top truck with a front mounted crane and aluminium oyster boat, turned up and proceeded to unload the oyster boat into the creek, not long after , lady from the ABC turned up in her car ( I knew she was from the ABC because thats what the sign on her car said ) pretty shortly after she arrived , she was picked up at the ramp by a man in a nice side console tinny, purple wraps I think about 5mtrs long and a nice 4 stroke suzie to push it along , anyway he took her down to one of the old oyster leases down towards the mouth of the creek, where the man with the oyster boat was working his guts out , an hour or so later the man with the nice purple wrapped tinny with the suzie on ,brought the lady from the ABC back to the ramp and she jumped in her car (after going to the ladies of course) and she was gonski. My question to you Drop Bear, is do you know if this little affair has anything to do with the oyster reef restoration project in pumicestone  passage.

Just as well the lady from the ABC turned up, only action all morning, fishing was less then ordinary, neap tides and slight ENE.

MSB

mate that is awesome.  great condition on the animal, it shows in the quality of the meat you got off it.  also really appreciate your "harvest" methodology as opposed to the "trophy hunt".  i think too many guys get caught up trying to get the trophy - which on an aside will be far from the best eating.  a young buck, spiker or doe will provide much better quality meat.

did you nail the "engine room" sweet spot just behind the shoulder thus losing minimal meat?

Please login or register to see this quote.

Hey mate,

Yes that is Ben Diggles and his boat. They are extending the shellfish reefs this week. It was postponed until tomorrow due to all the winds. 

I am going to be up there tomorrow. There is a spot on the boat if you wanted to come for a luncheon cruse and information day? Starts at about 10.30 untill about 2. PM me if you can make it. 

Awesome read Drop Bear and I've eaten crocodile, alligator, Ostrich, Emu, Boar and Kangaroo but not Venison. I love Kangaroo mince in shepherds pie instead of beef and I love small slithers of Kangaroo medium rare on crackers with camembert! I'm interested in learning the hunting thing....... Need to wait til fund can allow me to get rifle license..... Looks goods though! I've heard Venison sausages are amazing! 

Please login or register to see this quote.

Venison is a fantastic lean meat. It ranges in flavour from light lamb type flavour to a strong Horse piss game flavour. 

I love it as a steak and it is very hard to go past a Venison stew or curry. I find the trick when slow cooking it is to put some vegetables like sweet potato or pumpkin in with it as it makes it a lot moister. It can go dry if cooked too long... I did a pie for a OzFish meeting and it went very dry.