Old Scaley

Had planned a trip out on Moreton Bay today with a mate looking for mackerel. Unfortunately he called it off last night due to work commitments. I just laughed, having almost forgotten what work means.

Anyway I decided to have a solo trip and to use up the fish frames that have been cluttering up the freezer. I have had my eye on some very crabby looking territory but needed a high tide to get to it and enough water to get in and out. So I got there about 90 minutes before the high and dropped four pots. Then I went to amuse myself for a while throwing a soft vibe around some threadie country.  Got 2 bumps but no hookups.  The bumps could have been blue jellyfish because there was no shortage of them. Also tried drifting over a couple of banks throwing soft plastics around in the hope of a flathead or two.  Nothing interested in my plastics at all so I head back to the pots, about an hour after the start of the runout.

First 2 pots had nothing. The third pot felt a bit heavier and bingo - a nice healthy buck that was obviously legal so into the esky he goes. I was feeling pretty happy about that because Mrs Scaley loves muddies even more than I do so I know I will get a warm reception at home, if you catch my drift. Then onto the last pot.  Definitely some weight in this one, and up comes crabzilla.  Chocolate brown and sporting the Maltese cross.  I love it when you don’t have to measure your crabs.

Called it quits then and headed home to clean up and cook the crabs. Crabzilla went 1.7kg and his little brother was just under the kilo. I think I have found my new crabbing spot for this summer. Now I just need the prawns to start running and the fish to get hungry and it could be a very merry Christmas.

D64B97AE-5660-4B58-ACD6-AA78D4750ADD.jpeg

C0A8FBC0-28F2-4540-AF13-D11F75F67AFE.jpeg

Archived