Hi From Wynnum!

SeanK

Hey all,

I joined a little while back, but wanting to reach out and learn more than the just above zero that I know with fishing.  I live in bayside Brisbane, at Wynnum, and have a jetski that is rigged up for fishing. To be honest, I bought the jetski to go out and have a bit of fun, and it came with the fish finder / plotter / rack and I thought, let's give this a go.

I am pretty useless and clueless when it comes to fishing generally, but enjoy the process and being on the water.  It would be amazing to actually catch some fish or squid in the future.

I know a couple of the people in the forum in real life, who are top folks, but I wouldn't want to subject them to my lack of prowess in fishing when they are bagging out, so I thought I would mine all the great knowledge and questions asked previously on the forum.

Cheers !IMG_1088.thumb.JPG.6dced29edcc14b7a9448356a87d47c56.JPGjs-1.heic

Sean

js-2.thumb.jpg.d8922bd9c7b88365267fd55b285eaadf.jpg

js-3.jpg

On 21/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, ellicat said:

Welcome Sean.

Do you have a first question ?

I guess my first question would be, given my inexperience, and fishing off a jetski, any tips on the species type to fish for given this time of year in Moreton Bay?  Then I can search the forum for tips on rigging, bait, etc.  Cheers!

Sean, how are you mate, Fishing Monthly pages can be a good start:  http://www.fishingmonthly.net.au/ShowAll/AreaArticles/Queensland/SouthernQLD

..and I found a jet ski forum linked to fishing....https://www.ozpwc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/68-Jetski-Fishing

do you buzz round the whole bay (annoying fisherman) LOL or stick close to the shore?

8 minutes ago, Simo68 said:

Sean, how are you mate, Fishing Monthly pages can be a good start:  http://www.fishingmonthly.net.au/ShowAll/AreaArticles/Queensland/SouthernQLD

..and I found a jet ski forum linked to fishing....https://www.ozpwc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/68-Jetski-Fishing

do you buzz round the whole bay (annoying fisherman) LOL or stick close to the shore?

Hey Simon!

Thanks for the links, much appreciated!

I am happy to travel where ever in the bay.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, SeanK said:

I guess my first question would be, given my inexperience, and fishing off a jetski, any tips on the species type to fish for given this time of year in Moreton Bay?  Then I can search the forum for tips on rigging, bait, etc.  Cheers!

Id be keen to take you offshore and troll for some spanish some time. 

Check this page out when you can Sean - the Moreton Bay info is put on by a guy named Spero who fishes regularly. The info is up to date, accurate and very helpful, and will normally let you know where/when the school mackerel (troll a metal spoon using a paravane/anchor and burley with pilchards on ganged hooks or vertically retrieve metal slugs), spottie mackerel (look for birds - they will tell you when they are working on the surface and then throw metal slugs and retrieve fast), snapper/grass sweetlip (around Green Island and Peel Island), winter whiting and squid are biting. Have a bit of a look at his previous reports and updates and you'll get the general gist of it - the sweetlip come on during the warmer months, as do the spotties, whereas the schoolies, whiting and squire are around all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

hey mate.  with that rig you should be able to get onto plenty of fish in the bay at any time of year.

in summer time, i would look to target grassy sweetlip on the shallow reefs, this can be done with plastics or bait, any of the fringing reefs around mud island are a good place to start.  i like squid strips, half pilchards or peeled green prawns as bait, a whole host of plastics in the 3-5" range will work.  you will also pick up squire and tusk fish in these areas.  well worth having a whole pillie out as a floater as well, you often will pick up a school or spotty mack while chasing the reefies  -snapper will also take a floating bait no worries.  pre-dawn until sunrise and sunset until dark defintely work best if you have lighting.  Alternative in summer is to head out towards the measured mile or the 4 beacons and target mackeral on lures and floating baits, this is very popular and can be super crowded on weekends and holidays and usually shuts down the bite anyway.

there are also some excellent shallow water spots just outside the bay around cape moreton that are well worth the extra travel if you have the fuel range.

as the weather cools, may/june is an excellent time to target snapper around the reefs, as well as longtail tuna in the eastern bay.

Good luck!

On 04/01/2019 at 12:03 PM, benno573 said:

hey mate.  with that rig you should be able to get onto plenty of fish in the bay at any time of year.

in summer time, i would look to target grassy sweetlip on the shallow reefs, this can be done with plastics or bait, any of the fringing reefs around mud island are a good place to start.  i like squid strips, half pilchards or peeled green prawns as bait, a whole host of plastics in the 3-5" range will work.  you will also pick up squire and tusk fish in these areas.  well worth having a whole pillie out as a floater as well, you often will pick up a school or spotty mack while chasing the reefies  -snapper will also take a floating bait no worries.  pre-dawn until sunrise and sunset until dark defintely work best if you have lighting.  Alternative in summer is to head out towards the measured mile or the 4 beacons and target mackeral on lures and floating baits, this is very popular and can be super crowded on weekends and holidays and usually shuts down the bite anyway.

there are also some excellent shallow water spots just outside the bay around cape moreton that are well worth the extra travel if you have the fuel range.

as the weather cools, may/june is an excellent time to target snapper around the reefs, as well as longtail tuna in the eastern bay.

Good luck!

Hi Benno,

Wow, that is so much great information, and I am so grateful you took the time to share!

You have me thinking about my lighting as well now (besides nav lights) to allow to target better times. I have only fished daylight hours, so you post has highlighted the better times to go, and the ability to see would be an advantage 🙂 

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Sean

On 05/01/2019 at 8:42 PM, SeanK said:

Hi Benno,

Wow, that is so much great information, and I am so grateful you took the time to share!

You have me thinking about my lighting as well now (besides nav lights) to allow to target better times. I have only fished daylight hours, so you post has highlighted the better times to go, and the ability to see would be an advantage 🙂 

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Sean

No worries mate, happy to share what I know and what I have worked out.  Hope to see some good reports come through soon.

Seeing isn't the difficult bit - a good headlamp will fix that on a ski.  Much more important to be seen with a good all round white light and red/green nav lights.

Mate firstly welcome and this site is full of amazing info and knowledge from some bloody awesome fishos! Secondly fantastic rig. If you don't mind me asking how much was the rig... I might be getting posted out west for work and I will be selling my boat and looking at buying a jet ski just for ease in towing long distances...

Archived