kmcrosby78

south queensland Live Bait = Fish

Must have been a long day for the boys if they were seasick @kmcrosby78. At least you didn’t donut and you must have taken some good learnings for future offshore trips. 

When you put up the post about building a live bait tank I will have some comments about things Inlearnt when I had one built on my boat. There is not a lot of guidance on the internet so I wouldn’t be surprised if your topic became a popular search result.  Are you still putting one up about sunglasses because I have a few comments on that subject as well. Too much time on my hands, maybe.

They all had a fair bit of sleep Steve so not too much harm done, but don't think Liam will be lining up for a while. Dad spoke to a guy that can plumb the corner hatches in so I'll find out what I can and put something up. The sunglasses is a funny one as I looked at my current cheap glasses the other day and they are Category 3/UV 400 which is what you need. Seems incomprehandable that hey could be for only $5, so I probably need to get a better/more expensive pair to compare. Problem is that I'm tight and don't really want to spend $150-$200 to find out …. 🙂 

Nice one mate. Glad you had a good trip. It was fun to say hi while we were out there. That is a cracking boat.

Im looking forward to the live bait tank chat. I did my own one but messed it up a bit and need to fix it. 

I need to purchase a new pump and pickup from reel tackle.

Glad the kids got some sleep. 

livies have been a real challenge for me this year, ive been around port and up to Mud (as im new to boating) - have an ok swing now on the cast net (from DB giving me multiple 4/10 for casts earlier on in the year), tried the sabiki rod (which I caught a squire on)!!, even one those little traps, all with poor results.  I have some great locations, as advised by multiple fishos, but returns are poor - perhaps getting only 3-4 before a good session so they dont last long - not sure anyone can give me advice, but would appreciate any if you think I can do better on locations around the port or technique?

Simon

Please login or register to see this quote.

Hey mate.

Bait jigs work well. I like to put a very small piece of squid on each hook. It helps a lot. 

Sound around the becons at the mouth of the river and keep an eye on the sounder for spots. If you see a school of bait drop the jig down and hopefully you can have a bit more luck. 

Its worth taking time to get them. I enjoy catching baits and happy to make it a large part of the trip. 

cheers mate, will persevere, Tayt and I are going out on our first night mission tonight...one bloke said there are usually more bait fish around due to lights so will see how we go.  Noosa looked nice, im sure you tucked a few Sugapens in with your undies?

Yep I did have the sugar pens but I didn't use any. It was a family do and tricky to get a fish in for most of it. Pretty fun all the same. One day I will get a whiting on surface 🙂

Doly is easy enough... he says after coming home empty handed last trip. 

Mangrove jack is a challenge. Live baiting at night in the estuary or kayak last few hours of run out with lures. 

Most enjoyable read,well done.  Have fished around Manly myself a few times.  Love it around there.  Using yellowtails for livebait had salmon.bonito and kingfish off the shore.

Also fished  at Little Manly Point Park a few times.  On livebait my ozzie mate Ollie hooked into a decent size bronzie.  Managed this shot of it just before it bit him off. 

We head off to oz of 4 weeks today.  We will be staying at our daughters in Warriewood for 3 months.  Would be good to hook up with some of you guys 🙂

Please login or register to see this image.

John

Its the dodgy Sydney one I was referring to Drop Bear 😂😂 My ozzie fisho mate was a great sport,do not think he possessed a pair of shoes either 😂

Ollie was fearless,he targetted sharks off the shore a lot. Once we set up at dusk on Manly(Sydney) beach and Ollie paddled out a large  bait on his surfboard whilst I let off line on his shark rod. He overturned at one stage but managed to dive down,get his bait and remount his surfboard.  A total nutter.  Will add a few images from that session for you 😀

Please login or register to see this link.

No shark takers that evening but I managed a few bream and my very first tailor 😁

John