Best For 2018 And Goals For 2019.

Angus

Howdy all. As is customary thought I would kick off a brag/inspiration thread.

So let's here them... Your best/s for 2018 and goals for 2019.

Although some bass were caught my fave fish of last year was this PNG jack. Easily a PB  and a fine fight.

My goals for 2019. To fish more! It was a quiet year due to work, family and study commitments and I just want to get the kayak out more.

FB_IMG_1546305060656.jpg

Hard to top that one @Angus.  I had a reasonable year this year, meaning I did manage to get on the water more than most years. Not a trophy fish, but the one I was happiest about was the 56cm snap from the ribver during this year’s Suburb of Origin. The reason it made me happy was that 2017 was a pretty quiet year for river snapper but 2018 was reliable and some better fish around. And who doesn’t like catching snapper.

Now I am not working I plan to get out more often and try new things. Ambitions for 2019 include longtails from the Bay, more mackerel fishing and a heap of prawning this summer. I will keep watching AFO for inspiration and tips. 

39F0369F-D072-4600-8CB3-3B444751DBC8.jpeg

that sucks big time @natang. hopefully you can get some nice new shiny gear to replace it.  @Angus that jack is a beast, you would only ever find them that big out on a reef here!  would have been an awesome fight in the creek around the snags.

it was a fairly quiet year for me on the fishing front.  highlight for me was a PB pearly at 68cm (it's a 110L esky in the photo):

IMG_7119.thumb.JPG.5f4d8f56fa9e6ec896266913248583c9.JPG

as well as an epic trip out on the reefs offshore from fraser.  my trip to moreton in October was awesome as well.

my 2019 plan is to spend a lot more time on my kayak, chasing everything from flatties in the estuaries to snapper and mackeral offshore.  hopefully manage to snag a couple of decky spots here and there as well to get out an about a bit further afield than the yak allows.

hope everyone has a good start to 2019.

Cheers,

Benno

On 01/01/2019 at 10:14 PM, natang said:

2018 for me was full of study and all my fishing gear being stolen.... 2019 I plan on fishing a lot and getting back amongst it.  Looking forward to just being outdoors fishing with fresh air again! 

Natang did the insurance finally work itself out? 

Fishing is good. 🙂

22 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

@benno573 i think it was about 20-25kg. Had to whip the sides off out there as it didn't fit in the esky! gave my 80lb gear a good workout. had me in the bottom too so lucky to land it

looks a lot bigger than 20kg to me, unless you are only 4'11" tall! 😂

we came across a couple of massive stingrays on the surface on an offshore trip earlier in the year, there was a school of about 100 cobia hanging around them.  first two lures that got close resulted in 2 nice cobes about 1m long, mad fun on the surface on lighter gear.  unfortunately one of the guys on board then managed to cast a bit close and hooked onto the ray - genius... - and completely shut the bite down.  very frustrating being able to see cobia and twitch a lure right across their nose and not have them eat it!  if only i had a spear gun... 

On 03/01/2019 at 9:00 AM, Drop Bear said:

Natang did the insurance finally work itself out? 

Fishing is good. 🙂

Yeah it did. I paid my credit card off and bought two rods.. So I can at least fish at present. But building up tackle and lures is gonna take ages! I had so many lures for fresh water, saltwater....

Archived