Where To Go?

benno573

Hi all,

Looking at heading out for a kayak fish this weekend.  Flexible to a point on the timing, just trying to decide on a location!  Kayak is a hobie outback so no real issue taking it out into the big blue if the weather is right for it.  Full moon is next monday so it should be a good weekend for it.  Wind looks slightly more favourable on Sunday.  My options so far are:

1) launch out of cabbage tree point either morning and go chasing flatties in my "regular" spots

2) launch out of coomera/pimpama either morning and go chase some flatties, jacks and trevally

3) head up to coochin creek or bells creek and chase flatties or a jack

4) try off redcliffe around scarborough reef - might be difficult as I don't as yet have a sounder

5) launch at caloundra and head out around the blinker chasing mackeral and reefies, likely only on option Sunday morning and weather forecast has to improve slightly.  again might be tricky given the lack of a sounder.  Also a little bit reluctant to take this challenge on solo.

6) try around the brisbane river mouth targetting threadies, jew, flathead and snapper.

7) launch at wellington point and try for a mackeral or some reefies along the ledge.

What would you do?

Cheers,

Benno

I got my yak wet for the first time last Saturday morning in the Coomera and it was an awesome spot for it, perfect morning too. I launched from Brittany Reserve closer to the weir, followed the run out towards the M1 then back with the change of tide. Didn't catch anything because I'm a **** fisherman and was more preoccupied with not going in the drink but there was definitely fish around. 

Only problem could be with timing, the later it is the more watercraft out there. You're probably more confident out there than me though. 

Let me know how you go if you end up down here, would love to see some fish caught!

25 minutes ago, Milpool said:

I got my yak wet for the first time last Saturday morning in the Coomera and it was an awesome spot for it, perfect morning too. I launched from Brittany Reserve closer to the weir, followed the run out towards the M1 then back with the change of tide. Didn't catch anything because I'm a **** fisherman and was more preoccupied with not going in the drink but there was definitely fish around. 

Only problem could be with timing, the later it is the more watercraft out there. You're probably more confident out there than me though. 

Let me know how you go if you end up down here, would love to see some fish caught!

hey mate.

i'll be heading a fair bit further down river from there, i've never really done that well that far up, i know a lot of people do catch stuff up there but not me!

I'll definitely post a report from my trip where ever I end up going.

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

hey mate.

i'll be heading a fair bit further down river from there, i've never really done that well that far up, i know a lot of people do catch stuff up there but not me!

I'll definitely post a report from my trip where ever I end up going.

Yeah as I gain a bit more confidence I'll head downstream. I just want to catch a jack before the season is done. 

6 hours ago, benno573 said:

Nice one... livey or lure?

Neither. Believe it or not...a yabby on 6lb leader 🤨.  Got busted off a few times so will be going back with heavier gear and livies next time. 

Got this out of the same hole yesterday. And a few other pics from the weekend.

BC512D18-3ADD-47A2-919E-7ED11377472D.thumb.jpeg.fbfbe6453afb7d669bfccb58e11ebfac.jpeg

CD89806D-4677-442B-B570-0952E937A5C1.thumb.jpeg.cbae35043337937ff07f2f7c529da24f.jpeg

040A98F3-3F9E-438E-B46C-E81D2365CBB6.thumb.jpeg.ea7597834bcbc45a6d6de75f63b5a40e.jpeg

On 17/01/2019 at 8:47 PM, Doyley said:

Mission Point camp ground. 

6A2A33CA-DA1A-4952-BE35-45501BD74CFE.thumb.jpeg.e5194d07b549e2e337f2b7e240a89d49.jpeg

Great spot in the passage, camp there most of April when the schoolies are chasing the prawns in the creeks, make sure you take plenty of fresh water to have a shower, don't get caught out with the drop off and take plenty of piss and firewood

MSB

23 hours ago, MSB said:

Great spot in the passage, camp there most of April when the schoolies are chasing the prawns in the creeks, make sure you take plenty of fresh water to have a shower, don't get caught out with the drop off and take plenty of piss and firewood

MSB

Good intel @MSB, but what do you mean about the drop off.  And what is the mosquito/midgee situation?

11 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Good intel @MSB, but what do you mean about the drop off.  And what is the mosquito/midgee situation?

Hi Scaley, there is a pumicestone ledge with a sheer drop of between 3 and 5 mtrs that runs along the front of the campsites (12 of) at low tide you can get caught out if you don't know it is there, as it is only a metre or so back from where the waterline is at low tide, the lower the tide the more careful you need to be particular if you have any young kids with you. Mosquitoes & midges can be a problem if you book a camp site up towards the southern end, best campsites are 1,2 and 3, they have a nice sandy beach in front, all campsites have fire pit rings and there is a drop toilet near the campsites, I am attempting to attach a couple of pics from a recent trip so here goes

20171218_123604.jpg

20171219_051520.jpg

20170531_064224.jpg

20171219_051619.jpg

12 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Scaley forgot to tell you, Mission Pt is only accessible by boat and is best accessed from Donnybrook boat ramp, only takes 10 minutes maximum to motor to the campsites, if you go on the web and search campsites Bribie Island, you will have 5 camping location options, select Mission Point and it will bring up everything you need to know

MSB

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks @MSB. I have been looking at boat access camping sites close to home for short trips with Mrs Scaley and this one looks like a goer. When I get closer to going I might come back to you with more questions if that is ok? Cheers mate.

No problems mate, if Mrs Scaley likes a bit of romance, you can sit at the front of the campsites and sip on a red or white or beer or whatever and see some magnificent sunsets , March, April and May best times to go, not to hot during the day and cool nights

20171218_180910.jpg

20171218_182809.jpg

20180505_063106.jpg

20180609_164742.jpg

What a beautiful spot.. I have been fishing Bribie since I was a teenager and I used to love sitting on the wall out front of Cornetts store and watching sunset over the Glasshouse as I have got older the camping and 4wding is amazing and I still love the place. Great fishing and amazing people. 

I will add this campsite as I have never been before.  I am thinking of trading the fibreglass cuddy cabin for a tinnie how do you find the Renegade?

16 hours ago, natang said:

What a beautiful spot.. I have been fishing Bribie since I was a teenager and I used to love sitting on the wall out front of Cornetts store and watching sunset over the Glasshouse as I have got older the camping and 4wding is amazing and I still love the place. Great fishing and amazing people. 

I will add this campsite as I have never been before.  I am thinking of trading the fibreglass cuddy cabin for a tinnie how do you find the Renegade?

Renegade is good mate, enough  room for 2 , bit cramped with 3, but since I only fish with my Grandson it suits us fine, I went across to the dark side and put a 40hp Evinrude Etec on the back, and although to date the motor has run faultless, if I had my time over again I would have stuck with the Yamaha 40hp four stroke, Yamaha was as quite as a singer sewing machine, Etec not so 

MSB

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great intel @MSB - by schoolies do you mean school mackerel?

School jew mate, usually get a run of them up to 5kg mid March to mid May, best bait is live prawns fished on a fine guage 2/0 suicide type hook, just lightly hook the prawn in the second joint up from the tail and wait.

Picture of my Grandsons first schoolie caught late 2018 attached, fish wasn't legal so he went back in to grow some more but just a beautiful fish to catch.

Just now, MSB said:

School jew mate, usually get a run of them up to 5kg mid March to mid May, best bait is live prawns fished on a fine guage 2/0 suicide type hook, just lightly hook the prawn in the second joint up from the tail and wait.

Picture of my Grandsons first schoolie caught late 2018 attached, fish wasn't legal so he went back in to grow some more but just a beautiful fish to catch.

Sorry, forgot the pic

282.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2019 at 5:37 PM, Old Scaley said:

@benno573, where did you end up going?

I ended up heading out at Pimpama and fishing some of what I though were back channels between the Pimpama and Coomera Rivers.  Nothing like waiting for the tide to change, sneaking up a 20m wide channel in a foot of water to the mouth of the perfect drain, full stealth mode, getting ready to cast... and then having 12 - yes actually 12 of them following one another as they seem to feel the need to do - ****s on jetskis come ripping past you at about 30kn - not even slowing down in the skinny channel, flying past within 2-3m of the yak, giving me a serious shower in the process. 

Jetskis were pretty much a constant problem for the day, no respect for the environment or people around them.  Pretty much shut down the bite as the water I was fishing was less than a metre deep for the most part.  I hooked on jack in my jack spot, managed to put the brakes on it, only to pull the hook afterwards.  My day was summed up completely when i threw out a pontoon 21 crackerjack to troll on the way home and finally felt a bit of weight on the line only to pull in a mongrel catfish which to be fair is a first for me on a lure - not that i'm going to brag about it.  to prove it wasn't a fluke, about a minute later I hooked another.  This was beyond a joke... surely.  Completely annoyed, I peddled back to the ramp, rang @ellicat for some sympathy, and only got laughed at. Maybe he was out jetskiing that day...

$25 at yatala pies later and i felt much better.  😋

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

At least you had a crack at something new @benno573  catch up soon for an outing. 

Not a new spot for me mate, new that the f’in jet ski lice have found it though. I don’t get the fascination with playing follow the leader with complete disregard for all other water craft but maybe I’m old fashioned. Sling shot to be packed next time! 🤬

hurry up and get back from Burrum, I’m due a day off... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Archived