To Add Bow Mount Plate Or Not To My Scout 175

Poddymullet

Hi all,

Need some advice on mounting an electric motor to the bow of my Scout 175SF. 

I can mount it on an angle and still keep the anchor hatch working but it will only have three bolts. 

The dealer is recommending putting a metal powder coated plate down first for better support. I’ll be using the boat all over  Moreton Bay and near offshore so it’s going to deal with the chop etc. 

Dont really want to screw the asthetics but seems that the mounting plate will be the smart choice. 

Ive looked online and it’s hard to find many examples of either  

Thoughts?

A69A81F9-99D1-4663-A882-7A33FE063285.jpeg

A5B0037F-A5CC-45A3-86FE-F5345ADA8C6A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Poddymullet said:

How hard is it to do on your own? I am always wary of mucking around with anything electrical that might lead to failure on the water. 

I did mine. Its pretty straight forward. Originally I tried to hook it up to the sounder. This didn't work so I have just put it on low tech style.

4 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

How hard is it to do on your own? I am always wary of mucking around with anything electrical that might lead to failure on the water. 

Is it a 24V system?  If so, get a Trollbridge 24 system. Great piece of kit to keep your batteries charged.

Only one rule with electrics, use the heaviest gauge wire you can afford. And plenty of heatshrink and solder 🙂

9 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Not that hard if its 12v. Google helps a lots with information of people doing it themselves. 

Put a inline fuse in the power supply Red wire. 

I rarely took mine off the boat so to avoid the frustration of Anderson plugs and other connections I've seen used people use. I bought a fencing wire joiner that bolts wires together under inside the shell between the hull.

Where the inspection hole and cap is. This way if you take a wave over the front or as you are pulling the anchor rope in the salt water is not running down the wire into the joints.

I soldered the ends of the wired to make them hard and then put the wires in the fencing joining bolt and did it up tight. Bit hard to explain. Then covered it in heavy duty rust protector and the wrapped it in silicone tape for good measure.

Did not have a problem after I did this. 

It's frustrating to me if I turn something on in the boat and it doesn't work.

Archived