Yamaha Fuel Gauge

Miller 197

Hey Everyone,

Late last year we had a new Yamaha F130 fitted to our boat, after our etec gave up the ghost. RIP. The Yam is a great motor so far!

As part of the package it came with the square 6YC command gauge. But we have found that the fuel gauge bar readout is very vague and all over the place!

An example from our trip out yesterday - travelled to the cape and trolled for 2.5 hours, the bar graph never dropped one bar, then all of a sudden it drops 5-6 bars!! We put in 20L from a Jerry and she was back up to full

We have a rectangle 115 tank so its not an odd size.  

The old etec gauge had Litres and % remaining. which was much easier to read and rely on. 

I guess my question is, has anyone found any setting to maybe change the fuel gauge display to Litres or %.. OR can anyone recommend a standalone gauge that i can fit as i have no confidence in the current gauge. 

Thanks

yamaha-command-link-6yc_498x330.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

Sounds like you have to recalibrate your sender to the new Guage. That would be my guess as to your problem. I have no first hand experience with yami gauges, only merc. 

It will no doubt be a pain in the rear as it is normally done with an empty tank as you fill up. 

There will be a fuel calibration setting in the menu somewhere. 

Or pull the sender out of the tank and do a manual calibration. 

I have heard lots of complaints about under floor fuel gauges and mine is rubbish too. I have a susuki 75 4 stroke and it is an analogue type gauge. It seems to have the same problem. Full for ages then drops to almost empty even though there is  a lot of fuel left. 

I don't use it at all now and rely on how much fuel I put in v hours run. 

Oh and how did you go at the cape? 

1 hour ago, Junky said:

Here you go bro...

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/906738-gas-tank-calibration-yami-6yc-gauge.html

My merc guage works very well. It tells me pretty much to the 100ml how much I've used and the guage reflects that reading. It was calibrated when I fitted it all though. 

Thanks for the link Junky, it appears that after performing the 5 point calibration that they speak of i should get numerical value which i dont currently have. The boat shop has only entered the tank size (in litres) but haven't fully calibrated it. Going to a pain in the butt emptying the tank!

But this is progress!!

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have heard lots of complaints about under floor fuel gauges and mine is rubbish too. I have a susuki 75 4 stroke and it is an analogue type gauge. It seems to have the same problem. Full for ages then drops to almost empty even though there is  a lot of fuel left. 

I don't use it at all now and rely on how much fuel I put in v hours run. 

Oh and how did you go at the cape? 

Frustrating isnt it!!! 🙄

Only our second time out around the cape, but didn't turn a reel all morning
It was still a nice day out

The sender is the same and our etec gauges worked really well. So ill just have to go through the 5 setp calibration and hopefully that sorts it.

I'm eager to get my first Spanish. so trolled around the cape and out to flinders and onto hutchies and back. Just hardbodies and a one skirt in shotgun position. Next time i might get some live bait 

On 23/01/2019 at 10:03 AM, Miller 197 said:

The sender is the same and our etec gauges worked really well. So ill just have to go through the 5 setp calibration and hopefully that sorts it.

I'm eager to get my first Spanish. so trolled around the cape and out to flinders and onto hutchies and back. Just hardbodies and a one skirt in shotgun position. Next time i might get some live bait 

Nice mate. They were hitting the deep diving lures over the shallow ones the other day. 

Archived