North Stradbroke Island

Hi Everyone

Going to Stradbroke for a week in April with my wife to celebrate 45 years married, we both like a fish , however we have never done any beach fishing before and wondered if anybody on the site could let me know some relevant information on the place, we will be based at Point Lookout, would also like to know if I can pump yabbies anywhere or a place to buy good bait or should I take bait with me, not after anyones fishing spots just some general info.

Thanks in advance

MSB

Do you have a fourby ?

@Angus has good success off the rocks somewhere there. @Drop Bear might know which ones.

Apart from that, anywhere you can spot a good gutter along the eastern beach should hold the usual bread and butter species and also dart. I'd take some frozen prawns and some sand worms with you as the pippis can be a bit hit and miss.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Do you have a fourby ?

@Angus has good success off the rocks somewhere there. @Drop Bear might know which ones.

Apart from that, anywhere you can spot a good gutter along the eastern beach should hold the usual bread and butter species and also dart. I'd take some frozen prawns and some sand worms with you as the pippis can be a bit hit and miss.

Thanks Ellicat , no fourby unfortunately and as for fishing off the rocks I would be stretching the friendship with the wife, will take your advice and take some bait with me, only looking for a reason to have a line in the water so bread and butter fish will be the go, I reckon they taste the best as well

Hi MSB, you will love Straddie. We go there a couple of times a year. Sometimes I take the fishing gear if it is only me and Mrs Scaley but mostly I just enjoy the great walks around the headland and having a quiet swim at Cylinder beach. 

When I was in my teens and early twenties I used to surf and fish at Pt Lookout. I am way too old to negotiate those rocks now but there are smaller and easier points at Frenchman’s and Deadman’s beaches. It is a bit of a hike to get down to so travel light and go early morning or late arvo to beat the heat. Beautiful beaches to walk along if the fishing is quiet. If you have a fourby and a beach driving permit you will find gutters all along the Eastern beach. If you are on foot you will probably have to walk a long way to the first gutter. Cylinder Beach looks promising but I have never caught a fish there. Great place for a swim.

There are some nice easy spots on the beach between Amity and Flinders. You can park at the beach jump off track and walk to nice calm water with lots of dolphins and other critters to entertain you while you fish.

Bait and tackle are hard to find at Point Lookout, but there is Tweed Bait at the Foodworks.  There is an excellent bait and tackle shop at Dunwich where you can get live worms, yabbies and other fresh bait as well as some good advice and chat (as long as the guy that owns it hasn’t sold in the last 6 months).  The shop is hard to miss. It is on the right side of the road as you are heading out of Dunwich towards Point Lookout. You can pump yabbies at either Dunwich or Amity and get puppies along Main Beach. 

I hope this helps. Have a great trip.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi MSB, you will love Straddie. We go there a couple of times a year. Sometimes I take the fishing gear if it is only me and Mrs Scaley but mostly I just enjoy the great walks around the headland and having a quiet swim at Cylinder beach. 

When I was in my teens and early twenties I used to surf and fish at Pt Lookout. I am way too old to negotiate those rocks now but there are smaller and easier points at Frenchman’s and Deadman’s beaches. It is a bit of a hike to get down to so travel light and go early morning or late arvo to beat the heat. Beautiful beaches to walk along if the fishing is quiet. If you have a fourby and a beach driving permit you will find gutters all along the Eastern beach. If you are on foot you will probably have to walk a long way to the first gutter. Cylinder Beach looks promising but I have never caught a fish there. Great place for a swim.

There are some nice easy spots on the beach between Amity and Flinders. You can park at the beach jump off track and walk to nice calm water with lots of dolphins and other critters to entertain you while you fish.

Bait and tackle are hard to find at Point Lookout, but there is Tweed Bait at the Foodworks.  There is an excellent bait and tackle shop at Dunwich where you can get live worms, yabbies and other fresh bait as well as some good advice and chat (as long as the guy that owns it hasn’t sold in the last 6 months).  The shop is hard to miss. It is on the right side of the road as you are heading out of Dunwich towards Point Lookout. You can pump yabbies at either Dunwich or Amity and get puppies along Main Beach. 

I hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Thanks Scaley, exactly what I needed to know, more a casual fishing adventure for us, wife loves the ocean so all the info you have provided me is great, thanks again

MSB

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

A week at Point Lookout will be awesome. There are lots of fishing options.

Point Lookout

The main area I like to fish is from Deadman's Beach to Frenchmans Beach. 

I have attached a map. 

There are lots of whiting along Deadman's up to the sandhills. Worms are your friend here for whiting. Best at lower tides but they will bit most of the time if they are there. 

The areas around the rocks at the sandhills is great to throw small soft plastics for Bream, Flathead, Dart and Trevs. Curl tail or paddle tail grubs with a small weighted jig head with about a 2/0 hook works well. Favourite colours are dirty red or clear with a flash. 

Try some bigger soft plastics at high tide for Mulloway especially if you get a good southerly. This can be a great spot to fish in a big southerly sea. Try heavier jig heads with about 4-5/0 hooks and pink or deep green plastics. 

Widdow's Rock is a long high area right on the water. It gets its name because waves can crash over it and it is a good drop to hard rocks behind so be careful especially on a high tide and a Northerly or Easterly swell. It can be a good spot for pinging chrome lures for tailor. They can be thick here at times. You can also try any deep holes near the Sandhills. The sand moves around a lot and what was a deep hole last week can be just sand the next so move around looking for the deeper holes for tailor. The 2 hours leading up to High tide and high tide itself is often productive as they will come into the gutters then. If you can combine this with Dawn or Dusk you are in with a great shot. 

First rock is great for Gold spot Blubberlips (known locally as Spotted Hind), Tarwine and Bream. Best baits are Cunji that have been cut the day before and left to toughen in the fridge over night or washed up and dried Cunji that you find washed up on the beach. I have a secret bait that I will tell you about if we ever go for a fish there. If the water is deep here it is also worth a ping for some Tailor or Mulloway. Dawn is best here and be very carefull of high tide as waves will wash over the whole rock. If you can, use a long rod and heavy weight and try to cast to the rocks to the north of here. 

There is a set of stairs leading from Point Lookout down to Frenchman's Beach. It is a good work out and totally worth it. Dragging a bag full of bream and Spotted Hind up these stairs lets you know you are alive. 🙂

There are lots of options to fish the main headlands. They can be dangerous and hard to get to and I don't fish them much so wont put up a guide here but the spot in front of the life savers is worth a go.  I know that Angus uses larger soft plastics here for Kingfish. 

Main Beach

Like the others have said Main can be productive. I only target Taylor at high tide and whiting at low. I have always found the bream, Flathead and dart patchy at best.

The trick with whiting is to use worms (pipis sometimes work) at low tide. The last 2 hours of run out and the first to of run in. Go to the little blind gutters and fish in about 1 to 4 foot of water. They whiting are feeding on worm heads at your feet. Fish each hole for only a few casts and move on to the next one. 

There are a series of fresh water lakes (The Keyholes) behind the dunes at Main Beach. Where you see the shiny water on the beach I find it harder to catch worms and pipis. I think that the fresh soaks through the sand and puts them off. Basically south of the Causeway the lakes become less frequent and further from the beach. For this reason, for whiting, I like to fish south of the Causeway. Anywhere is fine for Taylor. Look for deep holes not the long featureless gutters for Tailor. If you are up for it there is good night time fishing for Mulloway. Look for the same water as for Tailor and use live baits, Mullet fillets or a whole worm. 

Jumpinpin

At the southern end of Main beach you will find Jumpinpin bar. It is a great spot for Bream, Flathead and Mulloway. 

Amity

Amity is inside the bay. It has great rock walls to fish from and lots of people fish from the jetty. If you want to see Dolphins they always come to the jetty at about 5pm. The best place to see them is just in front of the sight that says "Do Not Feed Dolphins". Don't feed them. They like fresh fish the best (especially whiting) but will eat pilchards. 

At the southern end of the caravan park at Amity there are extensive yabby banks. The beaches at the front of the caravan park fish really well at night with yabbies. 

So that is about all I can think of. I hope you have a great trip. Let me know if I have not covered anything. We spend a lot of time here so know it pretty well. Make sure you do the headland walk. Stunning views. 🙂 I didn't proof read so sorry for the typos. 

point lookout rock fishing.png

Fabulous info Robbie, much appreciated, will have the wife  with me so won't be getting on the rocks at this time, have to stick to the sandy areas although I reckon I will put in a night session or two in front of the Amity caravan park and of course she will want to see the dolphins every freekin night we are there😐

Just now, Drop Bear said:

This is a rock I love to fish at the Sandhills. Have caught; Jew, Bream, Dart, Tailor, Flathead, Trevalay, Whiting, Spotted Hind, Somber Sweetlip, Wrass etc here. 

IMG_8409.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG

20160804_180854.jpg

Awesome pictures, however I am going to chip you for not wearing your life vest Robbie 😡

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

looks worse than it was 🙂 I stayed dry the whole time. This was a few years ago. I have one now that I will wear. 

By the way the spot at the sand hills is mostly beach fishing. 

Good to hear you will wear a vest now, last thing we can afford is to lose the oyster restoration project main man to the sea😎

On 21/01/2019 at 2:03 PM, MSB said:

Hi Everyone

Going to Stradbroke for a week in April with my wife to celebrate 45 years married, we both like a fish , however we have never done any beach fishing before and wondered if anybody on the site could let me know some relevant information on the place, we will be based at Point Lookout, would also like to know if I can pump yabbies anywhere or a place to buy good bait or should I take bait with me, not after anyones fishing spots just some general info.

Thanks in advance

MSB

Thanks to everyone who provided some information on this post, much appreciated.

MSB

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, Olam said:

Loads of great info here - I'm going over to Straddie with brother (plus his new family) who lives in Brisbane and mother who will have just travelled from Ireland. I'm bringing a rod and surfboard so they probably won't see me armed with this info and eagerness. Thanks @Drop Bear

Hey mate, 

How did you go?