straddiebrad

Hey Brad, I have done most of my fishing up there around the river but have chased pelagics straight out the front of the river.  Just follow the red markers out along the channel and keep an eye out for birds as usual. The 8 mile reef can also be good and is in easy reach for your boat.  Here is a link to some GPS marks for Hervey Bay, including the 8 mile http://www.fishntales.com/gpsmarks/qld/herveybay.htm

You used to be able to troll between the Burrum River mouth and Woodgate but you need to check the green zone.

Great new ramp up there now means you can get out in most weather. Enjoy. 

13 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

he guys heading up to burrum heads on friday for the long weekend ,has anyone on here fished the area and like to share,as i will be fishing blind up there and would have a clue on where to start,well i plann on heading out and troll around to see what i come across,any help would be great thanks brad

Hi Brad

If you need anymore info to supplement what Scaley has told you, there is a site called Active Angler which has a good bit of info about Burrum Heads, might be of some help to you

MSB

I was in Burrum in September. Fished 8-mile reef and got schoolies - surprisingly we got them close to the bottom. Just fished mono with a sinker and 3 hook gang - lost a couple to bite-offs but others around us got nothing so think the lack of wire helped. Use the gps mark to find the reef (or look for the boats) then sound up some fish and bait - the reef seems to be nothing more than a gravel patch with no outstanding features from what I saw.

Also got mixed bag up the river but no particular spot, just keep moving based on tide, wind, etc. New ramp is awesome - vast improvement over the old two ramps.

Marty

On 22/01/2019 at 7:55 AM, MSB said:

Hi Brad

If you need anymore info to supplement what Scaley has told you, there is a site called Active Angler which has a good bit of info about Burrum Heads, might be of some help to you

MSB

🤨😁 or stay on AFO and let's build the info we have on Burrum Heads from all the shared knowledge 😎

14 hours ago, marty said:

I was in Burrum in September. Fished 8-mile reef and got schoolies - surprisingly we got them close to the bottom. Just fished mono with a sinker and 3 hook gang - lost a couple to bite-offs but others around us got nothing so think the lack of wire helped. Use the gps mark to find the reef (or look for the boats) then sound up some fish and bait - the reef seems to be nothing more than a gravel patch with no outstanding features from what I saw.

Also got mixed bag up the river but no particular spot, just keep moving based on tide, wind, etc. New ramp is awesome - vast improvement over the old two ramps.

Marty

Thanks Marty, How deep is 8-mile reef.

From memory I think it was around 10m deep. I just sat on my electric with spot lock so don't have the memory of pulling in the anchor burned in my mind.

There is a resident dolphin out there that covers ground very quickly when you hook a fish. Had me dancing on the deck trying to quickly land my fish. From all reports the dolphin doesn't take your fish off the line, but hangs around for the throwbacks. 

Marty

On 24/01/2019 at 10:01 AM, Drop Bear said:

Thanks Marty, How deep is 8-mile reef.

i was thinking it was 8 miles - going to take the serious drum lines and a few bricks to get to the bottom.

@marty - there are a few dolphins that hang around the artificial reefs in moreton bay that do exactly the same thing.  Very annoying trying to put a fish back.

2 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

the boat played up so i didnt get a chance to look around but got some bread and butter species witch was fun ,i did asked the grand kids what they love best for the weekend and the youngest one said the best part of the weekend for him was the pub i have to confess  it was mine too.🍺

Sorry the boat played up. I hope it all works out with BCF.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2019 at 5:02 PM, straddiebrad said:

the boat played up so i didnt get a chance to look around but got some bread and butter species witch was fun ,i did asked the grand kids what they love best for the weekend and the youngest one said the best part of the weekend for him was the pub i have to confess  it was mine too.🍺

Mate I hope that is sorting itself out now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 12:42 PM, Drop Bear said:

So disappointing for all of us. I wanted to have lots of stories and photos of you and the Family having a blast in it. 

mate she runs great now they changed out the electrics once it got to a certin temp she would drop a cylinder all good now,all i have to do is to choose witch boat to take to the comp next month.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2019 at 3:02 PM, straddiebrad said:

mate she runs great now they changed out the electrics once it got to a certin temp she would drop a cylinder all good now,all i have to do is to choose witch boat to take to the comp next month.

Yew that is great mate. So glad it is sorted out. 

The Rogue this year is even better! 

Archived