Sunline Super PE, any good??

fishyman

hey guys going to tweed for 5 days tomoro and yesterday was stock up day so we rode our bikes to charltons (33k's there and back) to stock up.

we bought 7 packets of gulp for 30 bucks :woohoo:

also my mate bought some jigheads and 4lb fireline.

i bought some 6lb Sunline Super PE (the bright green stuff) and was wondering if its any good. just spooled up with it and it looks the goods so far. its so bloody thin! i checked it against 3lb fireline in the shop and it was atleast as thin or thinner so im pretty happy with it considering it only cost 8 bucks more than fireline, plus its bright green which is my fav color.

any thoughts

Yeah because PE is IGFA rated. Fireline isn't. Fireline might say 3lb and be the same diameter as 6lb PE, though 3lb Fireline actually breaks at around 5-6lb when tested with a Bimini Twist on some digital scales.

Sunline Super PE is a PE braid that isn't IGFA rated which means 6lb probably breaks at around 7lb. Nitlon PE is IGFA rated so 6lb will break at 6lb.

The dodgie thing about it is all the testing on strength for PE braids is done before colouring. Once a line is heated and coloured it can lose up to 10% strength which is why a plain white braid in any type is always going to be better then a coloured braid.

Generally, if you go by the actual test strength and not what is says on the packet Fused and PE braid will be very similar in thickness, usually the PE will be slightly thinner but Fused will be more durable.

I just stick to Fireline because of the durability factor, I'll happily sacrifice a midget fraction of a mm for a lot more durability.

Troy

Archived