Big Waves + A Big Boat + Idiots

obone

Yeah. I just did a quick google search. It's the US Coast guard doing some training exercises in the large swell. I recommend everyone does a google search to look at some of the other pics. They're simply amazing!

at times they just power their way through big waves, sometimes the bow of the boat diving well into the surf on the way down!

It sure is a US coastguard boat. I have a good mate who moved to the US with his parents when he was 12, he is now 36 and 2nd in command of a US coastguard ship.

He has shown me lots of pics and videos of those sorts of training excercises, and when i last went to the US he took me for a tour through ther ship and base - got to go look through one of those training boats in the pics above that was tied up at the dock.

They have a training base on the east cost of the US where they take all their cadets out in these training boats and teach them how to read and handle the sea. Also a bit of a test to see if they can cut it so to speak. Where their training base is has one of the most notorius bar crossings in the US - probably the one in the picture.

All the cadets you see on the flybridge are strapped in. Although they are standing up, they are standing in kind of a padded braket to which their life lines are attached.

These boats are self righting, so if they roll, they turn up again pretty quick. They train in these sort of conditions on purpose, because, most of their rescue work happens when the weather gets nasty anyway.

I reackon if you make it through a training regieme like that, and still want to be in the coast guard, you must have some real balls.

This is what came with that email

Large storm swells reached Morro Bay California on December 4, 2007, bringing 15-20 foot swells with some plus sets. A U.S. Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Life Boat was out for practice maneuvers in the large surf, which is not unusual. However, a large wave hit that was probably more than they bargained for...at least it's the hardest I've ever seen them get hit. The air was filled with mist, and they were quite distant, so at times were just a shadow in the mist. I've adjusted them for better visibility, however the quality of the photos is not the greatest due to the above conditions, and futile attempts to keep the lens dry.

Gaz

Gazza wrote:

This is what came with that email

Large storm swells reached Morro Bay California on December 4, 2007, bringing 15-20 foot swells with some plus sets. A U.S. Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Life Boat was out for practice maneuvers in the large surf, which is not unusual. However, a large wave hit that was probably more than they bargained for...at least it's the hardest I've ever seen them get hit. The air was filled with mist, and they were quite distant, so at times were just a shadow in the mist. I've adjusted them for better visibility, however the quality of the photos is not the greatest due to the above conditions, and futile attempts to keep the lens dry.

Maxi

There's no way not while my arse point's to the ground would I'd be in that lmao can holders or not :silly:

Gaz

Gaz

Archived