Golden Trev

Dan23

Had a bit of a fish at the Bruns on Saturday. Really windy and hard to fish. Dad got this nice Golden on 6lb and a flick bait. It was caught in a strong current and fought really really hard. I actually called it for a ray the way it was pulling line.

I got my first ever Cod in NSW at the Co Op. The locals said it was a Flowery but it looked just like a regular Estuary Cod to me. Wasn't that big and didn't take a photo cause they're protected down there so threw it straight back in.

Also got busted up probably by a good Jack in some oyster covered pilons. Met some guys bait fishing and they had caught one Jack there that night on a butter bream fillet and 4 others previously with one up around the 60cm they showed me a photo of. Also saw them get a 60cm flattie. So it seems like all the Jacks are out around the mouth as my usual spots are still flushed with black vegetated fresh. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/gt1-f2fab3d6d6c541a76f335c7df51cf7ec.jpg

post-1402-144598441974_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was a little green after seeing him catch that.

Actually, I found a promising place for whiting on poppers. I had one come up and strike but not hook up and had a follow. Doesn't sound like much but I only gave it about 5 casts there on my way back so next time I'll cover that area properly. A Whiting on a popper is up there on my list of things to achieve.

I was fishing for bream at night so pretty heavy but not Jack heavy. Had my TD Advantage with 15lb braid 14lb leader. Hooked up right next to a pilon, drag was locked up so I leaned back and pulled as hard as I could but the fish was too strong and managed to pull my line past the oysters and shred it to pieces. Honestly, I reckon I would have busted off on 80lb it was really really big and those pilons are like razors.

ellicat wrote:

Your old man's gotta be happy with that in the canals.

Sounds like you need to start fishing with wire though Dan:laugh:

Yeah, I've tried that but unfortunately most fish won't bite in the first place with wire. Always a balancing act. If I was targeting Jacks I would have had 50lb on minimum.

BTW, it wasn't in the canals, the Trev was taken right at the mouth on the beach they call Tahiti just West of the North Breakwall.

Archived