Fishing the Gunn

Do$tylz

Hello all :cheer:

Well.... once again we hit up the Gunn with hopes for a good nights fishing.

We got there at around 7, to find the jetty empty, with no sailing ship blocking half of the jetty :silly: WOOT!.

So as some of us got our tackle rigged, as Freedom did some cast netting for bait. With heaps of herring caught, we threw out a couple of livies, with the rest stripped as flesh baits.

Within 5 minutes, my brother was the first to hook up. With his light plastic combo working hard for its money a 24cm breambo was on. The next few hours were pretty much the same. A few hookups on bream ranging from 20 to 27cms.

Here's the best part... As I was filleting a herring for bait, I decided to throw a bunch of scraps over the edge where we weren't targeting. I then also sent out my bait 2 minutes later. My line was in the water for no more than 15 seconds, when zzzzzzz...zzzzzzz. My lines starts disappearing at a quick rate under a moored boat and the pontoon it was docked at. I tighten my drag and slowly work the fish from under the boat and pontoon. Got snagged around the rudder of the boat and thought.. lost it. But gave him some slack and out he swam. Fight was back on. It then tried to get me under the jetty I was standing on, but kept the rod tip working and managed to get him back out to the open and to the surface. I almost called it for a squire :blush: but up came a 35cm bream. Another PB for me at the Gunn WOOHOO :woohoo:

Anyway. Tally for the night was 7 or 8 bream (kept 2 for a feed), a squid (which we gave to another bloke there) and a whole lot of little pickers. One of which my brother got on a cheap shot through the belly :huh:

What a good night. Man we've done consistently well there for the last 3 trips. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/03032008451_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598446324_thumb.jpg

Yeah we've finally got the hang of the place. Seriously, I've been there maybe 10 or 20 times and caught nothing. Theres a trick to that place and we've got it down pat now.

Bream was awesome to catch. Would been more fun with lighter gear, but I think if the line was any lighter (8lb braid) I woulda been rubbed off.

Re plastics - yeah man I keep trying. but i always get out fished by everyone else fishing bait so I get converted very quickly while im there. Its only when it gets quiet that I try plastics.

South Passage is a bit annoying in the warm months, but should be heading back up north in the not too distant future.

Been getting any cod?, they aren't thick down there but usually fall for a hook mixed in with a free feed. Just ease off on the burley if you find a false bottom of butter bream develops :laugh: This time of year the samll herring around 5cm and hardiheads are usually the bait of choice if you can get them.

Good baits, little wieght, runout and fishing the structure takes you a long way down there.

Never seen anyone do any good with plastics down there although most I have seen have only been beginners.

Elli mate, I'd have to say the bream was more challenging because the rod I was using was lighter than the one I caught the jack on. However, the excitement and high fives were now where near as much as the jack.

Waldo - yep there's plenty of herring and hardiheads at the right times. We found last night that they hung around during the top of the tide, then buggered off as the tide ran out.

We also found the runout to actually shut the fish down, but then maybe it was just that they moved form where we were targeting. Yep, we've caught cod there each time we've been there, however none are legal, and I keep forgetting to mention them....dunno how.

As Gus says the plastics get the pike during the day. I've only ever seen a flattie caught off plastic at night off the rockwall close by.

sounds like its picking up again..

have been there quite a number of time late at night and catch is pretty decent..

have landed flatties there before too and seen some dude get some trevallys before..

all i used was dead prawns though. would love to get live bait but am hopeless with cast net!

Archived