Jig Head & hook Size

Need a little advice, I got the call to go out tomorrow and fish deep in the shipping chanel off fisherman Is.

What size jig head and hook size would i need for the currents, depth etc... I am normaly an eastury type fisher with little to experance out wide, deep.

Any advice on anything (lures, line rods, plastics etc..)would be appreciated.

Cheers Dave

being a full moon on sat night there will be plenty of water movement in the deep channels off fisherman's is, in the river and well, pretty much everywhere! there was a heap of bait around the channels last weekend and if this is the case again go with big plastics (at least 5") and target pelagics like tailor and mackeral :woohoo: in the mid water. to get to the bottom in anything over 8m tomorrow will require a decent amount of lead, i often keep the jig head smaller and add split shot to the top of the leader as required (easy to make your own with a hacksaw and some normal sinkers, can make bigger ones too :laugh: ) keep your line as light as possible to reduce drag in the water. if all else fails, make a patenoster rig, big lead and throw some bait on!! :laugh: look forward to the report!!!

I would get a few weight in the 2/0 Nitro's or 5/0's in the TT. With minimal current in 10m of water 1/8th is enough weight. So grab some 1/8th up go up to 1/2 to cover all bases. The 2/0 and 5/o hook size covers plenty of range and are strong enough to battle most of the Bay Demons

Archived