Sharks on Soft Plastics

danny

Hey Guys

Any one been getting Bullies on Sp's. Twice now I've been busted off by sharks when trying to catch bream on Sp's for bait. Yesterday had a massive run which was quickly ended in a bite off. Then a couple of minutes later my livey went off and I got a 95cm Bull. They have taken 3inch Gulps in the minnow shape. I've got a 5inch minnow with a 8/0 and short wire trace which i'm gonna give a go but any one elses success stories would be helpful cos it brings a new meaning to spinning.

:ohmy: Ive havent heard of anyone getting sharks on plastics before this quite a rarity if they were sharks i guess they were gulp so they probs would have taken it.How far were u casting out cause when im fishing with sp's i fish them close to the bank around structure etc there was one time i almost got my chubby caught bream sharked lol in about 1m of water :blink: next time put a wire trace on with your sp :laugh:

First time was fishing coochin in my boat and hooked up near the bank, it was a very decent shark as I couldn't move it, mind you only had 4lb line, but yesterday was fishing from the bank and was casting into the middle of the creek, I think there is a real oppurtunity to explore sharks on SP's especially the bigger gulps with the use of wire, will keep you posted if I land one in the coming excursions.

I've caught plenty of little bronzies out from manly on 3inch chartuese colour gulps . They go hard and obviously destroy the plastic , and not much fun getting them in the kayak , most of the time i break the line so i don't have to deal with them .

Way to big and fast for anything else but a shark. Caught a few sharks now and know how they take off on that first run. Have also seen the shark on two accasions now, today thought it was a school of mullet swimming on the surface but when the lure went through saw the shark nail it. Was only like two metres from the shore.

danny wrote:

Way to big and fast for anything else but a shark. Caught a few sharks now and know how they take off on that first run. Have also seen the shark on two accasions now, today thought it was a school of mullet swimming on the surface but when the lure went through saw the shark nail it. Was only like two metres from the shore.

where abouts in the pine? upper or towards the mouth? thats pretty amazing nevertheless.

• 9 months later...

i have had bullies take home made poppers and one of my dads homemade HB out at crosby lower weir, i got to see the bully hit right as i went lift the lure from the water and gave a good run before dropping it, and out at the end of the shipping channel i went through a whole packet of big squidgy flick baits in pilchard colour to the bay sharks , i was watching them hit them right under the boat and some of these sharks were close to 6ft, of course no chance on mono leader..and cost me a couple of packets of tt 1/4 jig heads , expensive entertainment ..

I have a fishing mag with a guy catching reef sharks land based on plastics. Pretty cool.

It makes sense thought. Sharks eat live baits all the time.

What do plastics imitate?

Therefore not only would it not surprise me, id be massively surprised if they would not take a plastic!

Angus

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived