Gold Coast Easter Bream Classic - Team AFO Wrap Up

Angus

username_taken wrote:

You mention skipping the SP lures, I've heard of people doing it, but have never been able to do it ( on purpose ). What's the trick to it ?

Try using any sort gulp with a light jighead. Then fire a cast quickly at about 30 degrees or less to the water and you can skip them easily:). I can skip (in open water) a gulp shrimp or minnow grub on a 1/16 jighead about 2-3m. A bit harder to do with a heavily weighted one though or a non-gulp, or to skip them really accurately into snags (as Nabs did), but still can be done

Great write up Nabs. Thanks for all the info on lures and techniques:)

And good to see you representing AFO with cap & shirt:cheer:

Thanks Guys!

Regarding skipping the plastics, as Cowfish said, its a lot easier with lighter jigheads. The Hidden weight style jigheads are the best as there is no exposed lead and it doesnt hinder the impact of the lure hitting the water. The trick is to do cast at a low angle to the water and put a bit of power into it. Also, using plastics that have a smaller profile, but as well as having flat surfaces (if that makes sense) will work better. Example, a 2inch shrimp will skip better than a 3inch grub would as the tail would slow it down and lessen the distance it skips. ;) If you need any more clarification let me know, lol I hope you guys understand what im trying to say. :lol:

Cheers!

Yeh, the spots we fish are really the ones that no one else would fish. We do get given a fair bit of crap about the places we fish, but the way I see it. The fish arent always gona be where everyone targets em. Bream will live anywhere, as long as theres a bit of structure its good enough. We dont always get the big ones, but we do get fish :lol:

Next comp is the end of May at the Clarence River in NSW. Cant wait!

Cheers

Archived