The Loop Knot - Better knot for using hard bodies

batman

Hi All

Well last night whilst having some "quality time" a.k.a "Dunny Reading" :laugh: a new Fishing Mag, I came accross a new knot - it's called the Loop knot. It basically gives your hard body lure more freedom to vibrate and swim through the water! It makes perfect sense and I rigged my lures up last night and had a practice cast in my pool!!:laugh: it works a treat!

I scanned in the article into a pdf folder but I can't attach it hear so if anyone wants it email me on drrudy_8@hotmail.com

It is a very strong knot and very simple to use, especially when out on my Yak at night.

Also thanks to TerryH for putting me onto the uni-uni knot to avoid using swivels.

Batty :woohoo:

Kev: When you say you use a uni knot, do you open it up to have a small loop or just have it tight on the eye?

I normally remove the split rings on the tow point so a loop knot is the only way to tie them on. Some people open up a uni knot to form a loop but I haven't tried that yet as the loop knot has yet to fail me.

Terry

I used to do the opened uni knot, but it became a pain as you couldn't test the strength of it without pulling it tight.

Now I use the lefty's loop knot and it's working good:cheer:

But if there is a split ring on the lure, I just use a tightened uni knot on it. Swims fine and is yet to fail on me:cheer:

At the bass seminar last night Harry Watson and Gavin Dunne spoke strongly against using a loop knot on any lure that had a split ring on it.Any vibration lure is paticularly bad , he said that the vibration of the lure caused the line at the bottom of the loop to wear and create a weak point.

Cheers

Ray

bigtez wrote:

Kev: When you say you use a uni knot, do you open it up to have a small loop or just have it tight on the eye?

I normally remove the split rings on the tow point so a loop knot is the only way to tie them on. Some people open up a uni knot to form a loop but I haven't tried that yet as the loop knot has yet to fail me.

Terry

i always have it tight on the eye. all my HB lures have split rings on the tow point.

rayke1938 wrote:

At the bass seminar last night Harry Watson and Gavin Dunne spoke strongly against using a loop knot on any lure that had a split ring on it.Any vibration lure is paticularly bad , he said that the vibration of the lure caused the line at the bottom of the loop to wear and create a weak point.

Cheers

Ray

Thats one thing I hadn't considered Ray. Although fishing for bream in heavy structure, which is the norm for me, the leader gets checked, shortened and a new loop knot regularly.

I can see why you wouldn't use it on the big heavy bass lures though.

Archived