Bay Grinners!!

enem

I wasn't grinning on the weekend - Fished around Maclaey and the Banana Banks and got plagued by Grinners, caught them on pillies, squid, soft plastics, on the bottom, on the surface. Some of them were big, heavy fish. Can you eat them, are they good bait??

Can't say I've spoken to anyone who's eaten one. They do get big enough though. We jig them up to 60cm when chasing mackerel in 80' of water in the bay.

They do make OK baits, mackerel eat them.

We usually drop a few in the esky to feed the dolphins when they come begging for a fish.

werewolf - was struggling to catching anything of size other than grinners, wherever i went and however i fished (inclding SP's) they seemed to be there first! As i start to poke around i have read that when they are around in numbers it could mean the mackerel are not as they tend to dine on them? Dont know whether there is any substance to that as i havent fished for mackerel before..

enem wrote:

werewolf - was struggling to catching anything of size other than grinners, wherever i went and however i fished (inclding SP's) they seemed to be there first! As i start to poke around i have read that when they are around in numbers it could mean the mackerel are not as they tend to dine on them? Dont know whether there is any substance to that as i havent fished for mackerel before..

:laugh: I've heard peeps link them to macks, dunno, I try to avoid grinners

jeff f wrote:

the grinners being thick usually means a good snapper season coming up

Hope you are on the money there mate, I caught my PB Grinner on Sunday.

Grinner Fillets are supposed to make great Snapper bait, also good for the burley pot.

Tp me thay are a real pest, Grinners and Pike a plastic fishermens worst nightmare

Archived