North Pine River - DWB- 21st May 2008

mangler

Quick report, nothing really worth writing home about, but that's fishing, so here goes. A mate & I got to Deepwater Bend at 12 noon today with every intention of catching the big ones that got away last week. :cheer:

Well, even though we had the best of intentions the fish just didn't seem to want to play. We tried everything prawns, pilchards, mullet pieces & strips, hardyheads, live herring, HB's, soft plastics and got some little nibbles but nothing until about 3 o'clock when my mate pulled in a little flatty (about 25cm) on a prawn.

Then it went quiet again so I went for a wander flicking my trusty Deception Paleamon in search for some bream, still no luck, however my mate claims he caught another 2 small bream while I was gone.

Then the fish went off the bite, whilst the mosqitoes came on the bite. Then at about 6.15 I pulled in a good size mudcrab on a prawn :cheer: Check, is it a buck??? No it was a jenny :S so back she goes to have some babies. Then about five minutes later as we were packing up, I still had one line in with a prawn and it went for a half decent run, so I grabbed it and had a bit of a fight for about five minutes, ended up pulling in a shovel-nosed shark/ray of about 70cm, finally some fun! :cheer:

So that was it sorry for the big report for nothing too exciting.

Tally:

Mate: 1 flatty, 2 bream (all undersized)

Me: 1 female muddy, 70cm shovelnose, herring and a butter bream on the bait jig :blush:

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. forgot to add, no piccies this time forgot the camera :(

that shovelnose would of been abit of fun.. Deepwater bend is a tough, extremerly heavily fished spot, so you did ok :), I think the key to catching bream there, is using no weight and drifting unweighted bits of bait on small hooks down close into all the rocks, this should see you pick up alot more bream, and the odd cod, moses perch ect.

Yeah pinkey, that shovelnose was a bit of fun on light bream gear! I see what you mean heavily fished hey, I think that to do well there you'd want top quality bait or very well presented lures, the run of the mill frozen bait just wouldn't cut it for the larger more seasoned fish there.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived