Huge Squid

Dimo

namyau wrote:

just clearing some stuff up "egi/eging" actually refers to the squid jig/jigging in japanese squid is "ika"

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Really.:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

People are just taking the piss out of those who refuse to use the Aussie term. When im next on a japanese fishing website i will call it eging. When in another country its a visitors duty to fit in as well as possible. ITs rude not to.

shortie wrote:

namyau wrote:
just clearing some stuff up "egi/eging" actually refers to the squid jig/jigging in japanese squid is "ika"

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Really.:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

People are just taking the piss out of those who refuse to use the Aussie term. When im next on a japanese fishing website i will call it eging. When in another country its a visitors duty to fit in as well as possible. ITs rude not to.

thats ok if ppl wanna take the piss outta it i was just clearing it up ne ways. besides i sometimes call it eging and sometimes squidding - its basic the same thing

thanks for clearing that up namyau, i always wondered if they were actually called egs in japan, ika it is then!! its one of the few things i haven't seen them cook on iron chef...:laugh:

now, back to piss-taking...

so we are supposed to go eging to catch ika? why not go ikaing? :huh: :silly: :lol: oh well, swimming bum nuts still suits me. :laugh:

also, a bit confused. if they are essentially the same thing, why do we have to change the word we have used to describe it for the past how ever many years? :huh:

benno573 wrote:

thanks for clearing that up namyau, i always wondered if they were actually called egs in japan, ika it is then!! its one of the few things i haven't seen them cook on iron chef...:laugh:

so we are supposed to go eging to catch ika? why not go ikaing? :huh: :silly: :lol: oh well, swimming bum nuts still suits me. :laugh:

also, a bit confused. if they are essentially the same thing, why do we have to change the word we have used to describe it for the past how ever many years? :huh:

actually benno there is an episode of iron chef where they do cook squid

namyau wrote:

benno573 wrote:

actually benno there is an episode of iron chef where they do cook squid

i must have missed that one. i did see the one where they cooked egs though!!! ROFL

there r always a few words that experts use and a few that's for newbies, lol, just kidding.

brisbane's considered to be a multi-cultural community so why not just accept those foreign words like how aboriginal ppl (unwillingly) accept so called locals??? over 50% of the population in brisbane's not born in australia so it's quite natural that ppl say things in different ways. when ansian ppl love using eging, ika and egi, "locals" can use squidding, squid jigging or even some newly borned words as well. nothing wrong with that! if a really "domestic" way of calling eging's needed, just ask aboriginals.:)

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

there r always a few words that experts use and a few that's for newbies, lol, just kidding.

brisbane's considered to be a multi-cultural community so why not just accept those foreign words like how aboriginal ppl (unwillingly) accept so called locals??? over 50% of the population in brisbane's not born in australia so it's quite natural that ppl say things in different ways. when ansian ppl love using eging, ika and egi, "locals" can use squidding, squid jigging or even some newly borned words as well. nothing wrong with that! if a really "domestic" way of calling eging's needed, just ask aboriginals.:)

Yeh but why not say squidding? That stops the confusion and everyone knows what it means, Where did you get the 50% figure?

I just looked at the census data for brisbane from 2006 and it says the number of people born overseas is 21.7% of brisbanes total population.
/>http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/ProductSelect?newproducttype=QuickStats&btnSelectProduct=View+QuickStats+%3E&collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=31&geography=&method=&productlabel=&producttype=&topic=&navmapdisplayed=true&javascript=true&breadcrumb=LP&topholder=0&leftholder=0&currentaction=201&action=401&textversion=false

50% of the population of brisbane born overseas... :huh: not sure about that one... according to the last census that is a fair way off... 72.03% of brisbane's population was born in australia... check http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/d3310114.nsf/home/Census+data and it's in there under basic community profile brisbane.

but you know, statistics show that 37% of facts and figures are made up on the spot... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You making stuff up again Kev. Our Brisbane website says 22% are born overseas.

When in Rome do as the romans do.

Speak the lingo its rude not to.

I really dont see the validity of your argument referring to aboriginals. Bringing a topic like that into a forum will only cause trouble.

Its like going to a chinese website and saying why do you treat the tibetans like crap.

There are just some things you leave alone.

Guys, is it that hard to let something go?:huh: We all know what eging, egi and ika means, so just accept that they like to call it something different.

I'll always call it squiding, but I don't really care what they call it

fishyman wrote:

lol eging, squidding, swimming bum nutting :P i dont care what its called i only know that if your good at it you eat bloody well lol.

Exactly. Doesn't matter what they're called, there still the same thing and taste just as goodB):D

shortie wrote:

I really dont see the validity of your argument referring to aboriginals. Bringing a topic like that into a forum will only cause trouble.

Its like going to a chinese website and saying why do you treat the tibetans like crap.

u being the so called local here u'd say that way but do u know how aborignal ppl feel??????

i got the figure from newspaper and as far as i know census's no updated every day right???

BTW, tibetans r chinese so what's wrong with that??? logical thinking!

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

shortie wrote:

u being the so called local here u'd say that way but do u know how aborignal ppl feel??????

i got the figure from newspaper and as far as i know census's no updated every day right???

BTW, tibetans r chinese so what's wrong with that??? logical thinking!

Census was 2006 u saying that has nearly double and a halfed in 1.5years? Somehow dont think so.

who cares :blink:

kev made the point that people call things different names according to where they come from or how they were brought up, which is fair enough because i know i call alot of things differently to my friends and parents for example.

enough is enough lol

Archived