Minibucks Round 2- Team AFO report

nabs

Minibucks Round 2 Report- Team AFO

Hey guys, heres the report for the comp, took a while but here it is :)

Well the second round of the Minibucks was here faster than we expected. We hadn't had the chance to prefish before this competition and had a few minor dramas in the week leading up to the comp. Long story short, everything was organized and we were all good for the weekend. We were staying at the Marina Quays Hotel this time as it is where the comp is run from and makes it quite easy in the mornings. We had the boat tied to a mooring so all we did was walk down each morning with our rods and we were set!

Our plan for day 1 was to fish around the same areas as the last comp and hope that the fish were still around. With a low tide around 10am on Saturday, we had the last of the run out tide and the first of the run in.

marina2.jpg

Day 1, wake up at 5:30 picked up the rods and walked down stairs to the boat. EASY! We set off heading towards the pin. We were off 12th and arrived at our first spot around 45min later. Rigged with 1/8 and 1/12 jigheads and 2inch shrimps, we were onto fish straight away and had our bag within 20min. Nothing of great size, but it was a bag and our confidence was up. After a few more drifts, we managed 2 small upgrades and then things went quiet. We tried a few more spots and struggled to find any decent sized fish. As the tide slowed things went very quiet and we thought we would move a bit closer to the mouth to catch the first of the run in tide. Waiting for that change in tide, we did 1 drift of a bank that we had never fished before. Daniel got bitten off by a suspected tailor and managed to hook a good bream but after a brief fight pulled the hooks. Things were quite slow so we moved back to the spot we fished first up. With the tide running in, we thought we mite be able to pick a few decent upgrades. I managed to hook up to a good fish and after a long fight and very dodgy landing; we now had a 31cm bream to anchor the bag, it was also the first fish on a new reel for me so it was a nice fish to christen it with. Daniel managed another small upgrade a few casts later and then managed a new PB flatty for himself going 67cm.

flatty2.jpg

That was it for the day and we headed back to the weigh in, we had 1 good fish but the rest quite small. The usual story for us. Our bag weight ended up going 1.920kg and put us in 15th place going into the 2nd day.

Day 2 and we knew that we needed a good bag if we wanted to make the top 10 and get in the money. We left today in 15th position and followed the same plan as yesterday. Although, today the weigh in was to be held one hour early. This meant we weren't going to be able to fish the run in tide, which is when we picked up those valuable upgrades the previous day. We headed to the first bank which has been so good to us the past few times. Daniels second cast produced a nice fish at 28cm and then the 2nd drift gave us 2 more fish, one at 28 and one at 25. Things were a bit slow, although the size of the fish was up. We moved to another nearby spot to just try and fill the bag. A few hours went past and we still only had the 3 legals. After a decision to move to a bank we didn't fish this comp, we managed 2 more just legal fish and dropped a fair few more. Now we were a bit more content we had our bag of 5, we moved around a bit looking to find a decent upgrade as we didn't really have much weight behind our bag. Time was running short and we had to make the trip back for the 12:30 weigh in. Our bag ended up going a meager 1.7kg and managed to keep us at 14th position.

It was a good weekend, although we really struggled again to find decent sized bream. Going by everyone else, it seems last weekend was a lot better fishing with a lot of people getting over 3kg in their prefishes. That's always the case though. I guess the next comp we will be a bit more prepared and have to find some new spots.

I enjoyed the weekend, staying right at the venue was easy and a nice place to stay.

I would also like to congratulate the winner Mick Torley on his win, I told him I would mention him in the report. You deserved the win mate.

Hope you guys enjoyed the read and the few pics.

bream1.jpg

Cheers,

Nabs and Daniel

Cheers guys, the next round is next weekend. Daniel had a pretty good prefish last weekend so hopefully wel go alrite. I will do my best to take more pics, I got a few others but nothing realy worth posting up. Hopefully next comp wel have some better fish to take pics of!

Cheers

Archived