Evans Head 1st - 2nd August 2008

mangler

Headed to Evans on Thursday arvo, ended up leaving at about 4, after delays at work, wanted to leave at noon. In the rush to avoid traffic, forgot to grab the surf rods. :( :laugh: Ah well, ya get that, realised when we were somewhere near Tweed, too late to turn back.

Only fished for about 3hrs each day in the river, plenty of bream about (kept a couple of 28's for a feed), baits used were frozen prawns, blue pilchards or chook gut.

Highlights:

1) The other half reeling in her first flattie (about 55 - 60cm). She got it to the bank, I went to grab the net... "Oh S#17, where's the net, back in Brisneyland with the surf rods"... :blush: Before I had a chance to tell her not to bring it too close to the rocks, she went to lift it out of the water, PING! there goes the 6lb line & the flattie... Needless to say I was sent to the tackle shop to buy a landing net that arvo...

2) The next arvo we were fishing, with our new landing net close by. I thought I had a good flattie on by the way he was coming in, so I said "Grab the net dear I've got a big flattie on!!!" so she stood by ready to land the monster, only to see a tiny silver trevally that was about all of 18cm... :blush:

Still a great fun trip, even though there wasn't that much fishing, only downside was being out fished by the other half...

Catches: Lots of bream, couple flatties, silver trevally, butter bream & an eel.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. No piccies this time unfortunately, forgot the camera both times.

Brisfisher - the little trev did put up a bit of a struggle, and no, the missus hasn't let me live it down yet.

Benno - definitely some top fishing all down that way, pity I didn't get to give it a proper nudge this weekend, I guess thats what happens when people talk about kneecaps...

Cheers,

Matt

Maxi - no use trying to keep it secret from me, been fishing down that way since I was knee high to a grasshopper! (and yes there are some bloody good spots, if only I could call the northern rivers home)

Kreel - yes I share your pain.

Tacklebox - It was a funny weekend all round

Cheers,

Matt

Archived