Catching livebait?

brisbanebound

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to catch small herring using rod and line with small foil hooks as bait would work in the river?

Im aware that cast nets are the best option but after my performance on the borwalk the other night with my crabpot I reckon I would just make a total arse of it. :blush:

I ended up having a catfish snagged onto my rope and had to dangle right over the edge to cut the thing off, ended up in an almighty tangle.

I know in NZ I used the rod and line method that was pretty good for landing small herring and mullett from the beach so was wondering if it would be worthwhile giving it ago on the cycleway in new farm?

Even better would you be able to buy live bait anywhere in this fair city??

Thanks gain

Jamie

Have never heard of any place that sells live fish baits, but it is easy enough to catch herring and sometimes mullet on a line. If you burley up and the current doesn't take the burley away:silly:, they should come around and a small hook (maybe size 10-14) with a bit of bread it it will usually catch them

dunno how you'll go jigging for herring in the river... i've never tried it there. I've only ever jigged off jetties in manly/redcliffe/shorcliffe etc.

I know we seem to keep harping on cast netting, but it really is that much better and it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Dunno when the next cast netting session with everyone will be but if you attend you'll have it no problems by the end of it.

brisbanebound wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to catch small herring using rod and line with small foil hooks as bait would work in the river?

Mate, A rod, reel and line will catch you herring but try using a #4 bait jig with foil wrapped around the sinker!(check that size been along time since I've used one!)

The foiled sinker attracts them close enough for them to see the jig which increases the catch rate.

Or better still grab yourself a cast net! These things are fab when it comes to catching bait!!

Thanks for that.

I'll propbably give both a go when i eventually get to a tackle shop. Someone said there is one near the valley, leichtwardt i think so will get a cast net and the foil jigs in there.

A guy I work with caught a 30pound thready on a sp last week, but he was on a boat. I reckon thats the secret to catching anything on lures being able to move location trying allsorts of spots.

Good thing is he's promised to take me out in a couple of weeks so i'll be sure to get some pics etc.

Thanks again

Jamie

P.S I just bought some mullett fillets from coles, are they liable to catch me anything other than catfish? :blush:

pinkey wrote:

or cast in close to snags/rocks if you want bream and cod.

Theres heaps of bream in and around the cycleway apparently outside my flat at new farm. Would you just drop it around the rivers edge instead of casting out into the river?

Would you recommend a small bubble float up from the hooked bait to keep it off the bottom or just go for a general float rig?

Mate, in regards to the bream at the rivers edge, when I target bream I generally find suitable structure (rocks, jetty, bridge etc) and if current allows, drop small unweighted baits at my feet, waiting for the bream to pick it up and run, then strike. Good baits for this is chook-gut, mullet flesh, pilchard pieces and peeled prawns.

Cheers,

Matt

mangler wrote:

Mate, in regards to the bream at the rivers edge, when I target bream I generally find suitable structure (rocks, jetty, bridge etc) and if current allows, drop small unweighted baits at my feet, waiting for the bream to pick it up and run, then strike. Good baits for this is chook-gut, mullet flesh, pilchard pieces and peeled prawns.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers for that, think ill spend the day sunday giving that ago, heard bread is good as well.

Looking forward to it!!

Im over the catfish, there relentless!!

Best advise is to get a cast net then do what I did. Surfed the internet on how to cast a net. Found a few good ones.
/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

This had me sorted out after about 20 minutes of practice. Don't go anywhere without the cast net now.

Good Luck

Vonny

If you get into the lure fishing, have a fish along the rocks of New Farm by casting about 2 meters out parallel to the rocks and slow wind in. An SX-40 gets nailed this way. I've always had luck in West End like this. New Farm is on my to-do list. Maybe next weekend for a quick one??

Archived