Fish of the Year

mangler

November FOTM reminded me of an idea I had a while back.

Perhaps we could have a fish of the year comp. I reckon it shouldn't be about the biggest fish, just the "peoples choice" fish. Basically a fish that meant something to the angler and was a memorable capture. It would also be a bit of a photo comp too, because the better the photo is the better the fish looks generally.

It should be open to any species, but only one entry per person. The entry would just be a photo of the angler and the fish, no need for measuring in the spirit of this comp.

So everyone would go back through all their old photo's from the year, choose their favourite, and enter. There are some truly amazing captures by the anglers of AFO and I reckon it would be great to showcase some of them and have a peoples choice (and perhaps runner up) award.

When everyone has loaded pictures of themselves & their favourite fish, we could have a vote for a week or something & then the prizes awarded. This of course would be subject to prize availability, and as a result may not be able to run this year, maybe start in 2009.

Some of the fish that have really caught my eye & stuck in my head over the time I've been on AFO have been Dec's tuna that was sharked off the Iluka rockwall, Terry, Lee & co's Snapper off the kayaks, some great threadies and also the many "firsts" that people acheived and put a smile on their faces. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but just some of the fish that have caught my eye.

So what do you reckon??

Cheers,

Matt

Good to see there is some interest in this!

Smiderman wrote:

count me in .. :)

juz need a few guide lines so the losers don't get bent out of shape and have a grizzle ' ooh mine was better' that kinda BS

Yeah Smiderman, I guess that could be a bit of an issue, but hopefully it wouldn't come to that. Hopefully it can be run in away that is fair to all.

Sounds like a top idea. Bring it on. A thread with just pictures of top fish gets my vote as I'm forever waiting for pages to load and get 1 pic of a fish and a lot of interesting and amusing replies!! I hate Oz InterNot it is the only disappointing thing in Australia for a newly arrived Pom.....

I was thinking more along the lines of having the voting and prize giving in January 2009, for the 2008 fish of the year??? This of course is subject to prize availability & whether or not this actually goes ahead. Basically was thinking any fish caught from 1st January 2008 to 31st December 2008 would be eligible.

well if its the members that choose the winner how bout the members come up with the prize. could have a basket at the brc weigh in for people to throw there donation in e.g. a pack of plastics or what ever. that way it can go ahead and there is no stress on AFO

well i will bring the basket on the final weigh in we can all throw something in there and then give it to gus to hold onto till the winner is chosen. i think it would be good to have a peoples choice comp where the prizes come from the other members would make winning the comp mean a little more i think.

Good idea Kriso!

I guess we can do that then! And sometime early in January we can put up a post for entries, then after all entries are in I guess we can ask for votes to be PM'ed to myself (or whoever wants the job of counting the votes). Then after a week, votes stop. And the winners are announced. Sound good?

• 1 month later...

Been busy as for the last month or so, sought of let this slip to the back of my mind. Anyway, will try my best to either be at the weigh in with a basket to chuck some prizes in, or arrange for someone else to do that. Will endeavour to get back on tommorrow night with the what the plan is!

Archived