North Pine Dam/South Pine River 9/12/06

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

I heard that Angus and Ando were heading to North Pine to target some of those 50cm+ land based Bass Jimmy had been raving about in his last report. So I thought I'd grab a lift too ;) . We got there at around 4:30am for the first cast. It's a great looking dam besides the fact there's next to no water in it! :woohoo: .

I was using 8lb Fireline mainline with 12lb Nitlon fluoro leader and a Jackall Bros TN70 lipless crankbait. Gus was using 8lb Fireline Crystal mainline with I think 10lb Vanish fluoro leader and a Berkley Frenzy Rattle Trap and Ando was using a Duel vibe with 4lb Fireline mainline and 10lb fluoro leader. (unsure of brand)

I saw some nice structure that will remain unidentified :whistle: leading into the water. I said that looks Bassie and had a cast. First cast at it, bang! A quick zzzzzzzz, reel, zzzzzzzz, reel and a new P.B. Bass was landed at around 40cms fork :) . Got a few flicks and back he went.

We worked our way around the corner to some flats where a guy was fishing with his numerous amount of bait rods. After a few casts I was onto another Bass at around 25cms. Goes to show the small Bass don't mind big lures! :laugh: . I nailed 2 25-30cm fork Bass and both Gus and Ando got there first fish of the day at around the same size.

While we were getting lots of smaller fish on the flats we decided to go in search of those Jimmy big mumma Bass so it was decided on a spot change. Angus had remembered some powerlines in the background of James' report pictures so we headed towards those.

We weren't sure if we were in the right place but we had a few casts along a shallow bank that stepped right down to a 3 or 4m drop. After about 5 minutes of casting I whip my Jackall out as far as I can so I can see backing and let it start sinking to the bottom. I give it a few seconds to sink as I usually would but I noticed the lure wasn't sinking. I reeled up the slack line. Was that a bite I thought when I started to reel when zzzzzzzz. It was hard to tell if this fish was big or not until about 10 or so seconds when he went on a second run. I still had a load of line to gain on him. About half way through the fight Ando hooks onto a 40cm Bass about 5m from the bank for a nice double hook up B) .

Matt's fish is landed about 5secs before mine. I only get a quick glimpse at his fish on the bank while I'm still landing mine. 'Holy Sh!t' he says as he looks down at his nice fish. HOLY SH!T I say once I get a good look at the big Bassie on the end of my line splashing about on the surface. I think we all said 'HOLY Sh!T' together. Up comes my new improved 50cm exactly fork length and 51.5cm full length P.B. Bass :cheer: . What a nice fat fish he was. After a good hard look in disbeleif, a picture of the double hook up Bass, an easy corner jaw single hook hook up removal and a few more 'HOLY Sh!T's'. The fish was very quickly released to be caught again another day to be someone elses freak child P.B. Bass :) .

The fishing slowed for a while afterwards. Me and Ando seemed to be liking the mud too much constantly sinking and loosing shoes. I also helped retreive Ando's lure from a snag. Oh the things I do for friends :lol: .

We decided to target some Golden Perch at the steep drops further along the bank. We had no luck until I felt a sloid hit then snagged. I started shaking the rod to get it out. I wasn't sure if it was just the snag I felt hit myline or a fish. Then it started moving. 'Hey, it's a fish!' this fish felt a lot more weightier then all the other fish and I wasn't sure what it was. We all saw yellow. Ando and Gus called Yellowbelly but not to be. It was a fat 50cm+ Tandenus Catfish. They have the same ugly looking face and lips as the Brisbane River Catties, though they just pull a lot harder and don't have the dirty slime! :silly: .

We called it time and headed for home and had a geeze into South Pine River while going over a bridge. It looked fishy so we chucked a youie and headed back for a quick flick. Ando kept on his Duel vibe and Gus had a Halco Combat on while I had changed to an sx40. I got a little tap from 15cm Bream from around some pylons and soon after a nice bigger one nailed it. I had him on for a few seconds before I dropped him :( bugger I didn't get to see him. Soon after Ando is onto a nice Flattie at just under legal. On my last cast I got a mdget Breambo :P .

All up it was a great day with 11 fish landed and 4 species caught. I will be back there very soon to try and up my new P.B. :);) . Gus should have pictures up tommorow sometime hopefully :) .

Total Tally:

Troy:

Fresh: 5 Bass (25cm,25cm,25cm,40cm,50cm) 1 Eel-Tailed Catfish (50cm)

Salt: 1 Bream (10cm)

Ando:

Fresh: 2 Bass (25cm,40cm)

Salt: 1 Flathead (38cm)

Angus:

Fresh: 1 Bass (25cm)

Cheers, Troy

LIKE MY FISHING IN COMFORT.BUT I COULD BE TEMPTED. DO YOU GUYS WALKING IN HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE RANGERS? LAST TIME I WAS UP THERE IN MY BOAT THERE WERE SOME PEOPLE FISHING OFF THE BANK . THEY PROBABLY WALKED IN FROM WHITESIDE ROAD AND THE RANGERS CRUISED ALONG IN THEIR BOAT AND PULLED UP NEAR WHERE THEY WERE FISHING AND ABOUT HALF AN HOUR TWO RANGERS ARRIVED IN A 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND CHASED THEM OFF.

RAY

I was using my Berkley Dropshot since the Loomis is too light for whipping heavy Jackalls out. Along with my Shimano Symetre since my 2 Stradic spools have 2lb and 4lb on them and my Symeter spools have 6lb and 8lb on them. Six-eight lb was probably perfect for Bass. I'd be too scared to go any lighter landbased because snags and expensive lures like eachother a lot. Unless using surface lures or soft plastics since it's hard to snag up a surface lure in mostly open water on North Pine and it's not too expensive to loose a soft plastic tail and a jighead.

The lure I was using the lure shown below. It looks a bit different in that picture though. It's more like a 'Fire Tiger' pattern except in metalic and is bloody loud cruising thorough the water!

Troy [img size=128]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/TN70.jpg

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/12/10 07:13

post-68-144598403326_thumb.jpg

Angus was using the lure second from the left. They are a pretty good lure considering they only cost around 5 or $6. He was using his Shimano Sienna reel and Shimano rod which he bought from The Tackle Warehouse loaded with 8lb Crystal Fireline.

Ando was using his Loomis GL2 and Shimano Twin Power Reel with 4lb Fireline. I can't find a picture of Ando's lure on Google Images. I'm not sure of its full name. I think it cost him $20. The Jackall I bought from The Tackle Warehouse for $23-$24 though I bought it with the 10 lure deal so got it a bit cheaper.

[img size=204]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Berkley_Frenzy_Vibe.jpg

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/12/10 07:24

post-68-144598403327_thumb.jpg

Brian: As long as you have a stiffer rod you can cast heavy lures like lipless crankbaits and spinnerbaits at least 30m out. Your bound to have something suitable in your rod collection Brian :P .

With whippier rods it's to easy to throw the tip off with your lure if your casting too hard with heavy lures. The only bad thing about stiffer rods is pulling hooks so back your drag off just a little bit unless your fishing snaggs or you've hooked a snag! ;) . The other alternative is to buy a heavier rod that's longer (7ft plus) that should to the job and cast even further.

Matt's Loomis was just a bit too light for casting far and when your landbased, casting distance is obviously important. He's since bought a new Bassin' rod :laugh: . Now he's got the heads up over me since he's got some good vibes in his tackle box. My only one ended up in a snag around where the 2 biggest Bassies of the day where caught :( . I may invest in some dam swimmers so I'm prepared next time! :silly: . Or a looooong tackle back.

Like Gus said, you could take one step on that crispy dirt and your fine. Then take one small 30cm step in front and your half way to China. I think I've learnt my lesson which is keep at least 5m from the waters edge unless your casting! Matt also learnt his lesson, don't wear your best shoes :lol: . So, when are we going up next boys? :) .

Troy

Your coming next time James! :P . I've seen many pictures but still haven't seen a fish hooked, fought and landed on a Tassie. So if they're so good then come and show me how to use them :P .

Have you sent the pictures of your bigguns to your lure dealers yet? :P . I'm sure they'd like to see them. Or you could send them a link to show they're being advertised on a fishing website ;) .

Hey yeah, thanks for reminding me James. I'm now in the 50cm club! Not to bad for my first lure fishing real Bass fish. (Nabeel's Dam doesn't count :P and Hinze Dam was Live Shrimp).

Also James not too many people are in the 50cm Bass Landbased club. We are exclusive members ;) . V.I.P's if you will :woohoo: .

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/12/10 15:24

yer i have sent the tassie mob piccys and the links...he likes the exposure up here and their website will be getting a new look soon , and he said he will use some of my pics..( i hope)....but he is a bit busy with young ones like myself so im not gunna hassle him.....but yer troy next time ya go out there im with yas too!and il glady out fish yas with a trout lure!:P nah man good on ya with a 50cm bass man...awesome!:woohoo:

You can out fish me with your Trout lures if you want. You can catch 10 25cm Bass and I'll catch 9 60cm+ Bass on my new Stella B) . Can't wait till it gets here next Friday I'm hoping :) .

Troy

P.S. Gus: Do you have that picture of my 200mm Bass that ate a 70mm lure? Would just like to see who caught who up close :P .

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/12/10 15:38

blue_mako wrote:

Also James not too many people are in the 50cm Bass Landbased club. We are exclusive members ;) . V.I.P's if you will :woohoo: .

Troy<br><br>

well at least not to many with metal hooks, square hooks would rate a few!

Congratulations, it looks a mighty fish in the pics!

Archived