broken rod

paul10

Does anyone know why my rod may have broken like this. I am using 6lb braid with 8lb leader on it and have only been fishing with it twice since I bought it about a month back. The last time I used it I had a snag but I don't think I broke it then because it came home in one piece.

I was going out tomorrow so I had to rig the rod again and as I was pulling the braid through the last runner and with the drag backed right off the tip just fell off no noise or anything.

It's not a fantastic rod by any means but it cost me about $150 which is a lot for me.

I have taken some pics so you can see the damage and the info on the rod.

Thanks for your help guys. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0347_AFO.jpg

post-4091-144598477485_thumb.jpg

post-4091-144598477916_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't have broken during fishing. My guess is that at sometime during your last session with it, someone has stood on it or similar:angry::( Or it may have broke during transport

Honestly, if it came apart when you were simply putting line through the guides, it sounds as though someone has broken it, didn't want to tell you, and just placed the tip back on so it doesn't look broken, or attempted to use a tiny bit of glue on it:(

Because usually, if it gets some fractures in it through use of heavier line classes or damage during transport, it requires a fair bit of pressure to break it. And usually it won't break there because that part of the rod supports very little of the total pressure exerted on the rod

Sorry mate:( Broken rods sure do suck:(

Yes it is graphite.

After I had the snag I left the rod on the ground with my gear then moved away about 50 metres to use my sons rod.

On that trip we had 4 kids with us as well as my mate. I bet someone has stood on it while I was away because I am very careful when I am holding my rod or walking with it.

I hope I can get a spare half for it as I don't think it is a warranty job IMO.

When you say that you were pulling the line through the guides was the reels drag engaged?

Kind of looks like you were holding the rod in the place where it broke and the stress of the line coming off the reel combined with an awkward angle could have snapped it.

But if you were pulling the line parallel to the rods natural state i'd have to go with previous damage like pushing the rod into the car a bit too hard or similar.

Talk to the guys at the tackle warehouse they should be able to order in a top piece for a relatively cheap amount.

EDIT: looks like you just answered your question:(

Hi paul10,

I go along with Cowfish & TerryH,I`d say someone has given it a good knock, at that point, or stood on it,before or after sale.

But in saying that, I`d take it back and say "Look what happened to my rod"without saying or implying, any accident may have happened.

This would not be missleading as you obviously don`t know what has caused it to break.

cheers

PS.Might be wise in future when fishing with others to lean rods against something or sit on roofracks and not lie them on the ground.(I`ve fished with little kids too.haha)

wipe the footprint off before you go down there, sorry mate, they are sweet rods, just because they are not as pricey as some, doesn't mean they aren't good..

be very vain about what happened, just state to the boys down there what you actually know, eg, don't say it could have been 1 of the other kids etc, truth be known, it coulda been 50 things that happened that you didn't see, just don't assume it was your fault, if you don't think it was. ask for gordon.

i have broken 3 trions in the same spot 2 baitcasters and one egg beater all went when pulling line against light drag but it was pulling the line back down to the real when they went. the bc from anaconda just got replaced on the spot it was only 1 day old they said ooh yeh they allways do that and the egg beater from tackle world went close to a year later and gordon got it replaced yayy go gordon .dont lose heart it does happenespicially with high moduls carbon rods as they are very brittle :( but light :) but weak:( but strong:)

Archived