North Straddie

Cornelius

If your at Dunwich the jetty is good fishing.When your at the end of the jetty cast to the last pilon where the blue barge comes in I use Mullet fillet or prawns there's Squire,Bream and Golden Travely.

Or if at point Lookout anywere off the rocks is good it just depends on the weather ie swell and wind.

Good luck

Hey Cornelius,

I am also heading over in a couple of weeks time.

Where are you planing on camping?

There is usually good fish to be caught of all of the beaches and bait wise its hard to go past live worms or pippies. Pippies have to be one of the easiest baits to find over there simply drive down main beach at low tide and wait till you see all the little lumps in the sand and they will be a few cm under the surface. On the corner of Coming Pde. and George Nothling Drive a local sells live worms if you don't fancy collecting them yourself.

Weather permitting the rocks at Point Lookout is always good for a fish I usually use pilchards on gang hooks there. Have caught lots of taylor and seen other guys pull up all kinds of stuff there.

And one of the gems is Amity point. If the beaches are all blown up this is where i will be heading. Check out the rock wall and the jetty. I got an awesome feed of squid off the jetty last time. The water is quite deep there and there are a bunch of different species hauled up in the area, Bream, Squire, Mack Tuna, Taylor....

Here is a quote from:

/>http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/camping/98dec.html

And now for the fishing. While we might think that boaties usually have the cream of the fishing at any given locality at Amity shore based anglers are not disadvantaged. The fishing is just so good from the rock groynes or the near by jetty that non boaties will still get their share. Main species taken from the beach and rock walls are whiting bream and flathead with others thrown in depending on the season. For instance the deep water at the end of each groyne virtually guarantees black fish and tailor throughout winter as well as bream. Then, during summer, the same area offers a good chance for a passing mack tuna or even a northern blue tuna. Kids regularly hook mack tuna on light spin tackle and the whoops of joy and excitement are easily heard.

Of real interest are the whiting in this area. Bait is easy to come by as yabbies may be pumped by walking due south onto the spit area adjoining the caravan park and working the large sand flats. There are plenty of yabbies - but beware of sand flies during summer. Some Bushman repellent is good insurance against the little blighters.

Whiting are readily taken during the day, sure, but it's at night that the really big blokes are about. I believe that the great clarity of the water puts them off somewhat during daylight hours and fishing at night will see a lot more fish, of much greater size, taken when compared to daylight fishing. The groynes are the place to fish at night and it's wise to just leave the rod sit until a fish is felt fairly heaving on it. Big whiting are touchy blighters and messing about retrieving or trying to strike at them is taboo. They will just leave the bait well alone once that business starts.

Actually, at Amity there far bigger fish to be had than quality whiting. Those groynes plus the jetty can offer serious game fishing for the dedicated. Liveys in the form of hardiheads and pike abound around the jetty and the clue is to get the live bait out under a float when there isn't too much run in the tide. Because of the proximity of the bar just a kilometre or less away there is always quite a bit of run present so that short period of slack water is much appreciated for the live bait and overhead reel fans.

Good luck Mate!

Angus wrote:

Do a forum search for Straddie and Strabroke Island as well. Plenty of good reports.

Dad was over last week and caught 13 40cm+ dart. fantastic fighters at that size.

Angus

if ya old man's gonna keep catching fish like that he's gunna have to start reporting and taking photos!

Thanks a lot guys

We are going to stay at Cylinder Beach campsite. I see Amity point is just around the corner from there so I might just go and give it a bash. I'll be sure to drop back in to tell how it went.

An hey Angus get your dad to reveal that spot mate ! I'd be rapped just to get one of those dart on the line !

Cheers

A quick update on our Straddie weekend. The weather was fantastic and we got a reasonable amount of fishing time in. Mostly off the jetty at Amity and Dunwich. Amity yielded mostly just shy of the mark Bream with a few small Squire in the mix, total of 12 fish. Once the tide was out there were only happy moments about. Dunwich was a little less productive with only a few small squire. I guess at the end of the day the catch was nothing to write home about but was good fun and best of all the kids want to go back for more so now we can outvote the wife and go again!

Archived