Batman hits Maroon!

batman

The missus and I popped up to Maroon for a weekend away with some mates. We stayed in a huge Qld'er up on the hill that had a caretaker who would fit right in the movies like "The Shining" or Texas Chainsaw Massacre"...man he was creepy!

The weekend was a bit of a blow out for fishing as the wind was absolutely pumping so Saturday was spent flying around on a 1200cc Honda sit on top style jetski. Holy Mother of God do these things fly!!!

After a boozy night I hit the water at 6am, I had scoped out the shallow water timber area at the top of the dam. I found this cool little stream/river that ran down into this area, armed with new lures I got from Charltons a short paddle latter I got into some water that looked really fishy.

Having never fished freshwater on lures before I am a complete noob! I cast a Zarra Puppy and tried to get the ol walk the dog action going but the bass must have been pissing themselves as I was doing it so badly! After that I tried every lure I had purchased and even a few "saltwater" hard bodies but nothing!! It was frustrating because there was an old fella and his son catching heaps of fish on worms fifty feet from me off the bank!! The sun was high and I was pissed off that I was going to go home with a 0.

I tied up to a snag and looked deep into my tackle bag to see a little tackle box that I had purchased years ago...a real K Mart special...but it said “Fresh water tackle†so I opened it and saw a little fluro jig head with a fluro shrimp soft plastic. I rigged it up cast it out left it for a bit then flicked it twice and bang I was on!! woohoo...after a nice little fight on 6lb my first little bass came to the yak! A few pics and he swam off..... next cast same process ...zzzz bang another little fella came up...two in 5 min.

The weed in places was to thick for my Mirage Drive so I paddled the Hobie back up stream to the car. I must say that this freshwater fishing is a real challenge and something I would like to do more of.

Took a few happy snaps for the masses!

Batty:fishing:

Maroon can be a frustrating dam to fish lures I reckon. The weed makes life difficult for sure. I've caught plenty there on live shrimp, but not much at all on lures.

I remember hearing Shultzy say that when the Bass are shut down, an SP can sometimes be the lure for the job...and you can attest to that;) Well done.

Rocket

It was a great experience, something so different to saltwater fishing and I will definatley be back for more. I liked the way I could sit side saddle in the yak feet dangling in the water without fear of loosing my legs to something capable of removing a limb!

Biggles I tell ya had I been fishing in the main part of the dam I might have spewed! The chop was nearly a metre high in places! ahahahah!

Whilst out blasting around on the jetski I witnessed to guys come down the river, one tried to yak fish and the other cast lures off the bank into a 30 knot head wind....I was like WTF!!!!:ohmy: They yak guy got blown back onto the rocky bank and gave up. Was the shortest yak session in history!

Fun place though!

batman wrote:

Cheers Bretto!

Yes, I loved having a go, I would love to tag along with you sometime and learn from your Yoda like skills! lol! That would be awesome!

Would be good to get out there with ya sometime mate mate. Not sure about the yoda like skills but I think fish just like me :P

Archived