GC : from Zero to Hero, back to Zero

username_taken

Was going to head off caloundra this morning with Terry, but he cancelled on my at the last minute with sore ovaries.

I decided to head down to everyone's favourite fresh/brackish canals and launched from the dog park at about 7:30am.

After trawling up about a tonne of weed I finally hooked onto a tiny little bassling

PB260010.JPG

followed shortly by a small breambo

PB260011.JPG

Feeling a bit like a Zero at this stage I went off in search of fishy looking areas. I found a spot just to the left of the lock that looked interesting and as I headed to it my sx40 went WIZZZZZZZZZZZ. I grabbed it, started to fight the fish, made some ground and then he threw the hooks. DAMN! I realised I didn't strike ( something I always forget to do on trolled lures ). Still a Zero.

A bit of a paddle around got me a low 30s Bass on a chubby deep and my luck had started to turn.

PB260014.JPG

Headed out near the lock and cast a 2" gulp shrimp around the pilons hoping for a bream. WIZZZZZZZZZZZ it goes, and up comes another decent Bass, but I lost him at the side of the 'yak ( forgot my lip grippers ) trying to lift him.

Back to my fishy spot, I threw a popper around for a while as I'd seen a bit of surface action, but I didn't even get a look in. Threw on a TT switchblade onto my SP rod with 4lbs leader and third cast it got smashed!

Had a good 5+minute fight and up came a beautiful looking bass. I made a few grabs at him in the water and managed to get my thumb down his gob and lifted him in. went 40cm on the ruler. sweet! Finally I'm a Hero. Had a few more casts then decided it was home time.

PB260015.JPG

Trolled all the way back to the car, for another tonne of weed, but no more fish.

When loading the kayak onto the car I slipped and CRASH! kayak goes straight through the canopy window and I get my hand all cut up. Back to being a Zero.

PB270020.JPG

PB270023.JPG

Sorry I couldn't make caloundra paul. Don't know what made me check under the hood, but didn't like that a few drops of coolant had started to leak out of the top radiator hose, and I hadn't gotten off my arse to go to supercheap to get a new one (been a week or two :whistle: )

I much rather stay at home than spring a serious leak racing up the highway

Archived