Brisbane River - 9/06/2006

Terry H

Peter and I headed down to a spot near Bretts Wharf to secure some bait. To my surprise, there were no mullet and only a few prawns which was even better. Then we headed down to Cameron Rocks, in a hope that I'd catch some luderick for the shark line. After one cast, I had only caught a slightly undersized bream (chucked it back in) and tore a great deal of my net. The destruction consisted of 3 decent sized holes (could fit a can or two through them) and about 10 broken braid lines. This left me with one option: to fish with the live prawns I had caught, and to sit down and fix my net.

Some time passed, the rain began to fall and then ceased and after some talking I was finally finished fixing the majority of it. As I hadn't seen any bites on my line I checked my bait and then recast it. Then I thought it'd be good if we had a little extra bait, so I cast my net into a different spot which is usually a flat sandy beach. Low and behold I got my net caught on the small rock that was in the location! It took me approximately 10 minutes to get it free, mainly because I didn't want to go in the water. During this time my rod had fallen over and was now propped up against a pole, and when I saw it I became excited. Afterall, I thought it might have been a fish!

I started to wind the line in, and then felt a small amount of fight (nothing too strong for 20lbs) and I knew it definitely wasn't a catfish. To my surprise it was a 29cm Pikey Bream (which I had never caught before). Poor fella was hooked in the eye socket, and out it's cheek. I never thought it was wise to eat with your eye or eye socket, but I guess this fish never thought of that.

Shortly after this, Peter pulled in a small 25-30cm catfish.

Needless to say, that was it for 9/06/2006.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/09 19:27

Archived