Sharks at breaky creek

Jordan

Hello my AFO Bretheren,

Thought i should let you know of a particular sighting i saw on my way to work this morning. I was driving towards the innercity bypass from racecourse road and the traffic was pretty shitty.

As i was driving past the mouth of breaky creek, i noticed right at the mouth, where the water from breaky creek clashes with the brisbane river, there was about half a dozen smallish bullies thrashing around.

I was driving pretty slowley so i got a really good look, there seemed to be 3 in a very tight ball either feeding or fighting or something, im not sure, and then there was another 3 swimming on the outskirts that would swim streight into this splashing mess and swap with one of the sharks in there. Each of the sharks would have been between a meter and 1.5m's.

A very cool sight.

Yeah we saw this same thing on sunday morning whilst at the mouth of breaky. I was having a brief nap when my mate chris caught a nice metre long bully. He said he could see a few of them surfacing. It was about 6am so perhaps they're feeding at this sort of time frequently at breaky creek. Quickly after he got a good run from a big threddie which snapped his 60lb braid. It cleanly leaped from the water, what an amazing fish. This was at a pretty low tide.

My other mate joel (obone) was getting a fair few decent runs at high tide (11pm saturday) just in the turbid water where the creek hits the river. Very interesting.

But after all that we still didn't have anything to enter at the weigh in from breaky creek :(

But we had a great time and did a 60 hours straight fishing session with great company.

DAn

yeah mullet to a foot long work well but i snip their tail fins off to slow them up a bit..i know it sounds cruel but the bullies do alot more damage lol,,i also use a two hook snell rig with about 15-20cm gap between the hooks just to cover the big bait better..

i also upsize hooks 7/0-9/0 ,and upsize the trace to at least 80lb wire with 100lb mono leader , usually you will attract the bigger bullies even though the little ones still go the bigger bait..

• 10 years later...

Archived