Sherwood Forest Pontoon - Help for a beginner...

MagooMan99

Mate, in 2 years and one day on AFO I have only seen a handful of posts mentioning Sherwood and none have really made me say "I must go there for a fish" unfortunately. I'd be putting my money being on catfish, pike eels, bream and maybe the odd cod.....but hopefully there's a newer member that hasn't piped up with some info yet.;)

:fishing:

Thanks for the warning mate.

Are cod, catfish and bream and the others not worth the effort ? Not sure at this stage whether I am lloking for just a bit of fun or whether I want to eat what I catch...can you eat one of these three fish ( and preferably not die )

Would Corinda be a better choice for location ?

Sorry, I really have no idea about this...

There all fun to catch ! I'm not a fan of bream to eat but plenty are. Cod need to be 45cm to get a decent fillet IMO but would be the pick of the two....as for catfish...well.....hmmm...take a rag to avoid the slime when dehooking and be careful of the spikes they have at the start of the dorsal fin (the top one) and the two pectoral fins (the front ones on the side). There are plenty of pain stories from cattie spikes and the odd hospital trip to have them removed.:ohmy: :unsure:

Don't really know anything about Corinda. The Dutton Park and West End stretches produce a few decent fish including the ones mentioned as well as the (illusive for me) threadfin salmon and jew. Also plenty of bull sharks to be caught if you have a wire trace.

In the drop down menu above under fishing select "fishing locations". That should give some more tips. Also there is an excellent article written by Neil Schultz under the Hints and Tips menu.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=255:light-tackle-shark-fishing&catid=25&Itemid=77

Make sure you check back here tomorrow - someone more knowledgeable of these locations is sure to have piped in with some help/advice.:)

dont what you'l get on lures there

but there is a very good chance of threadfin,jew and

sharks there on live baits

is there any bright lights shining on the water within casting distance? if there is try throwing surface lures or 4 inch prawn imitating plastics into the light pool for threadys and jew

good luck

The number one concern there is the current. It screams through.

With some decent weight and some live bait you would have a good chance of a threaddie or shark.

On the turn of the tide casting lures towards the mangroves you would have a good shot at a cod. I know there have been a few caught there.

The best thing about the pontoon is its nice and comfortable for a lazt bait fish.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Angus

i fished the arboretum a few times, what i got was mainly catties, a few baby cod and some eels. I'd say under the indro bridge is a better option, i've pulled jew out of there and had a few bustups probably by sharks. also pulled some big bruisers of catfish out, one went 68 to the tail :D

under the bridge is better on an outgoing tide as the current will take your bait toward the bridge which is where you wanna be, cast as close to the middle pilon as you can.

Ok , so im guessing that Indro bridge might be a better place.

So can both jewfish and cattie be eaten ? I have seen some stuff on the Net saying that the freshwater cattie is ok, but the saltwater ( which im assuming is whats in Brisbane river ) is a no-no - so just wiping off the sludge and hacking off the spines is not enough ?

Archived