Safety Basics.

rayke1938

Being new to yaking can anyone point me to a site that has basic info on yaking.

Such as how to get in and out without falling in the water.

How to get back in if you fall out.

And anything else you think that an old fart needs to know.

Daughter cracked a pooyey after hearing about Brians little adventure this morning. She asked me if I know how to get back in after falling out and really went off when I said next question?

Is it a good idea to secure everything with lanyards or are they a potential hazard if you fall out.

Is attaching flotation such as pool noodle material better for rods and paddles.

Been reading a fair bit on AKFF on set up but cant find much on basic stuff for noobies ( maybe I am not looking enough)

Cheers

Ray

Ray,

PFD is first and foremost. Look for a close fitting one rather than the big bulky numbers that used to be around. The only thing I really would attach to the yak for a newbie is the paddle. Without it, life can be pretty grim. As for the other stuff, perhaps pool noodle on strings to start off with so that you can collect it up later.

As the craft can be a little tippy when getting in and out, I used to place the paddle behind the seat across the yak and then stand on one side of yak. Rest hands on paddle each side of the seat so the yak is taking your weight and lift far leg into the footwell and slide bum on, then lift near leg in.

To get back on a yak after you have come out, for most people with most yaks, you should be able to pull yourself onto it surfboard style, sit up on the yak, legs over the side the swing them up and in.

Sometime when you have got some confidence up too is try to lean the yak over a bit and use the paddle across the water in a figure 8 sort of style on the leaning side and steady yourself on the angle. Great way to stay up if you think you are going to go over.

Looks like I will have to get wet and give it a go. I have doubts if I will be able to roll over upturned yak with a heavy deep cycle battery and leccy let alone to pull my fat gut over the side to get back in.

I have already learnt the hard way how useless those manually inflatable PFD's are.

As you say its good to be young and strong enough to do 50 one handed pushups.

Cheers

Ray

frankly unless you are a very very fit and active person or under 3o you have stuff all chance of getting back in a yak one up its ok if youve done it for years if you havent swim it to the muddy bank get covered in shit and do it that way its a lot less frustrating

a paddle leash should be standard fitment on every yak paddle or peddle without one its like chucking the out board on the tinny and not doing up the bolts it should stay there but it might not

a pfd is a compulsry piece of equipment for a dam good reason id guess the slim ones are far better than the blow up ones most of the time but anything is good i guess unless its the stupid block style

i like paddle leashes on rods but if you have the money to throw away rods go right ahead or if you want an excuse to buy new gear perfect timing

a piece of styrofoam in the tacklebag should keep it above water most of the time

x tools are a great easy way of keeping stuff afloat

best advice is to buy your mate a yak too as theres safety in numbers and hell its christmas hey MATE

jason:)

PFD, prefer to use the ski or wakeboarding style pfd as this allows free movement , even though i am sort of young and able to swim a mile or 2 i still wear my pfd cause i am usually fishing alone and just in case some thing goes wrong. I need to find a life jacket for my staffy aswell , the other week he slipped in on a muddy bank , i thought he would be right , but i was mistaken his little legs couldnt keep his big body above water , i reacted in a sec and jumped in phone and camera in pocket , but he only had his snout poking out of the water and i only had another 3-5secs before he was gone, it was like watching one of your kids drowning ....i got him out ok he spluttered for a little while but you never know what can go wrong...pfd's for every one !!!!

Faulked I dont worry about straps for the rods and reels, got a swag of the kids ones I need to clean out of the shed ;)

I have a bit of clothes line on the paddle though!

If you running an electric, safetest way is to tie your PDF to the clamp on the battery, so if you fall out, the clamp comes off the battery and the yak doesn't keep going! (and you dont get a good "massage" from the prop either!)

Archived