70cm Bass

shayned

cpetrie wrote:

Feral wrote:
No, mind you I know someone took a photo of a 50plus bream the other day and I have not seen the photo of that yet ;)

o really, that might have been one of those over-exagurated stories. i believe when i see.

Dave

There have been plenty of 50cm bream caught if you know where.

60cm Bass exist, they're by no means common, but I do not doubt for one second taht there are 60cm bass swimming around. There are too many 50s (especially in NPD!) for there not to be the odd 60.

70 would be a whopper.

The biggest ive ever seen is 51 cm and that looked big. i reckon there would definately be a few 60s swimming around but obviously be rare. 70s? maybe, as others have said, id have to see it to believe it. Its sort of like a metre long flathead... lots have people have probably caught one of that size but i have never seen a proper picture on a brag mat of one.

Just my opinion

Paul

i do recall many many years ago like maybe 15-18 years ago there was a guy with a massive bass caught using worms and a clear bubble float that from memory was well over the 70cm mark and was caught out near lowood in the brisbane river , it was in the QT news paper, Maybe there is a way of getting this article from the QT paper office , But i do remember it being somewhere between 5-8kgs an absolute horse that may have been one of the original wild river bass , Can any one remember this article if you are from ipswich?

Dino: Thing about your 57 is it looks no where near as fat as your 54. The 54 has a lot more weight on it, and is something you definitely notice.

My PB from NPD was quite light compared to my 2nd best (length wise) fish from NPD.

How you hold them plays a big part on how big they end up looking in the photo. Without looking at your avatar in a bigger picture, I can clearly see your right hand isn't that visible, where as in the picture you put up above, it's very visible and your finger is covering part of the fish. If you hide that hand, your fish suddenly appears to be a bit bigger.

wesfish wrote:

i do recall many many years ago like maybe 15-18 years ago there was a guy with a massive bass caught using worms and a clear bubble float that from memory was well over the 70cm mark and was caught out near lowood in the brisbane river , it was in the QT news paper, Maybe there is a way of getting this article from the QT paper office , But i do remember it being somewhere between 5-8kgs an absolute horse that may have been one of the original wild river bass , Can any one remember this article if you are from ipswich?

I'm not surprised, around 10 years ago, when they let the flootgates open at wivenhoe, many big bass escaped. When i say big, i mean big. We caught 2 60cm+ models. One of them were 65.5cm from memory and the other was just over 61cm. Average bass caught in the same area would have been 50cm.

All were caught on live prawns, not far from the flootgates.

rotciv wrote:

wesfish wrote:

I'm not surprised, around 10 years ago, when they let the flootgates open at wivenhoe, many big bass escaped. When i say big, i mean big. We caught 2 60cm+ models. One of them were 65.5cm from memory and the other was just over 61cm. Average bass caught in the same area would have been 50cm.

All were caught on live prawns, not far from the flootgates.

were you using the live prawns that were walking over the rocks with water flowing over it? i remember when the gates were open back then , i was there catching heaps of bass on a home made lure painted rocket red with no eyes lol that was one of my most fun bass sessions ever , 40-50 bass for a 2-3hour session, with heaps of the 50-52cm bass, cant wait for wivenhoe to open its gates like that again, even though it is a few years away yet..

StevenM wrote:

Show me a true 60 on a ruler, not a brag mat.

Get your brag mat out with a ruler. All those folds and creases your 50 will be about 47.

Sorry to burst bubbles.

And should be fork measures as well.

Just my 0.02cents

No offence Steve, but the issue with brag mats and creasing is very easy to overcome. Pull the thing tight.

Hey Feral, I understand that legal length is to the Tip, but will still measure any of my bass fork length.

Terry, yep pretty much on the money, yet till not 100% in the checks that I have seen and done myself, unfortunaltly all the pics you see are ona creased brag mat :( as well.

Wesfish, If you were fishing the rocks area below the dam wall you are in a no take area. This goes to 600 metres below the dam wall. Dont get caught as penalties are high.

wesfish, we caught the prawns from NPD the night before back in the days where the yabbies were plenty, and you see greedy people walking away with bucket loads!! Anyways, the bigger bass were holding right at the little catchment right next to the gate, the only way to access it is to cross the river which was pretty scary.

You're not meant to be fishing there, but the rangers dont really give a damn. Well they didnt in my case, they even came up to us and started conversations.

anyways, no point talking about it as your not meant to be fishing there, just wanted to make a point that there should be plenty of 60cm+ models out there at bigW

rotciv wrote:

wesfish, we caught the prawns from NPD the night before back in the days where the yabbies were plenty, and you see greedy people walking away with bucket loads!! Anyways, the bigger bass were holding right at the little catchment right next to the gate, the only way to access it is to cross the river which was pretty scary.

You're not meant to be fishing there, but the rangers dont really give a damn. Well they didnt in my case, they even came up to us and started conversations.

anyways, no point talking about it as your not meant to be fishing there, just wanted to make a point that there should be plenty of 60cm+ models out there at bigW

i to am guilty many years ago we use to cross and go right up to the wall then slide down the concrete and fish on the very skinny platform along the bottom of the wall , but we were young teenagers and just having fun , wouldnt dare these days!!!lol we were catching live shrimp that were crawling over the rocks by hand , it was funny you could pick what size you wanted..then throw em on as bait..i have been catching good bass at the mouth of lockyer creek right up til it flooded , the best went 46cm but got skunked by some bigger bass , there is heaps of little bass to 30cm to keep you going. the water is still murky but hopefully it will clear soon..