breakfeast creek

rastus

breakfeast creek

did not have the best of starts to the day today but when i got home and after a chat with the misses she decided to come for a fish with me well "sharking" to be exact, she has never seen a shark in the wild and sea world does not count and from my last couple of trips she felt like she was missing out.

i had had a good run at the Breeky Creek and decided i would head there for a bit of a fish so i got the bait i had left over in the freezer and we headed out.

i got there about 5:30 i think and got to setting up the rods i had my overhead with a 10/0 hook and trace with a big chunk of mullet out first.

then the new spin surf rod combo with a gang and pillie out into the river.

and set up the misses small spin combo ( witch constantly lost tackle) not her fault 6lb braid is poo poo going to go get some 10-15lb for it. ( gave up on it after loosing allot of tackle got chewed off about 4 times through 25lb mono leader half a pillie and single hook. and busted of prob 3 times.

had bells on the 2 big rods and they were sitting in the ally rod holders i made at work.

this post is getting a bit long so ill cut to the chase. after about 40 min landed this fella on a pillie and running sinker. 15lb line

salmon.jpg

first salmon about 90cm, i was excited my misses was evem more so.

i checked my book and got a leagal size of 60cm please correct me if i am wrong

got chewed through twice on that setup and after a bait change on the overhead i got this little fella

pike-1.jpg

pike eel

about 1.3 m

i could not believe how big he was and got him on a 10/0 hook. after a photo he managed to get himself off the hook so i used my pliers to get him back in the water. after reading some posts last night about them being a bit bite happy i wanted him back in the water asap.

and with not much more luck couple of strikes on the pillie (i was running low on hooks and has using the wrong setup in the end) we headed home got home at about 9 pm

thanks for reading and good fishing

James.

If u are chasing the little bullies you'll need at gang hooks (for say whole pillies), or 2-3 foot of light mono-coated wire. The cheap premade stuff from kmart is fine (although often a bit short). Or get the heat weld stuff and make up your own. Or try use circle hooks and some meatier mono trace. There is raging debate about circles but try it yourself. I only did it twice. Landed a shark on the first livie and got bitten off on the next 2 min later lol. I want to try it again if I actually get a chance to go sharking this season!

EDIT: BTW, nice salmon. I'm yet to get one on a hook, and thats why I want to run some baits again without wire:)

well done mate, i was at newstead for the dawn session. got a decent number of livies by about 5:30am and had everything set up, not a single touch till about 8:30 and it was a bloody hubcap. was gonna leave soon thereafter but a few friends rang up and wanted to come visit so i stayed till 12, none of us had a touch since the ray.

Looks like they were waiting for you and your mrs to come along!

cheers for the reply's and i might take you up on that offer for some company next time i head down there.

i had a wire trace on the line that got the salmon had 40lb mono going to one of those pre-made wire traces about 6 inches. i think i will invest in a cast net soon to get some live bait see how they go tho i have been having allot of luck just on pillies at that spot.

I cant wait to rub it into a guy at work he has been trying for a long time to get one and he has a boat and i get one on dumb luck B)

Archived