Bull Sharks are Fun and Tasty!!

Judge

Landed two nice 3ft bull sharks today on the Logan River shoreline.

My daughter and I set up and there was hardly anything for two hours. Just about to head home at 6.20pm, 2 hours out from low tide and BAM!! 2 bull sharks within 10 minutes.

We kept the bigger of the two and let the other go.

Head and tail off and gutted, skinned and filleted within 30 minutes.

Took it home, salted a little and bagged for freezing, kept enough out for dinner. Beer batter and oil pan fryed on the BBQ.

These bull sharks and so much fun to get on and land and they taste great! I'm no expert, but I think many people underate shark as a recreational fish and an eating fish?

I've heard that you have to bleed, gut, skin and fillet within 30 minutes of landing and then you can eat and/or freeze.

This is what I've done and they are tasty. We did catch a few (2 weeks ago) and left them in the boat for 3 hours, then filleted them, but didn't skin them and then BBQ them with the skin on.

Well, I was crook the next day, so maybe the urea is a problem?

Anyway, they are fun to catch, they are around right now and we're landing them on nylon covered wire, 3/0 bait holder hook and half pilchard tail end.

Cheers

Judge

Judge, without being an expert myself... IF you were sick the next day due to the shark, maybe it was because you left the skin on. You'll notice a nice amonia smell when you pull them out of the water, maybe some of that is in the skin, and thus, in your food when you eat it? who knows?:S

Judge wrote:

Landed two nice 3ft bull sharks today on the Logan River shoreline.

My daughter and I set up and there was hardly anything for two hours. Just about to head home at 6.20pm, 2 hours out from low tide and BAM!! 2 bull sharks within 10 minutes.

We kept the bigger of the two and let the other go.

Head and tail off and gutted, skinned and filleted within 30 minutes.

Took it home, salted a little and bagged for freezing, kept enough out for dinner. Beer batter and oil pan fryed on the BBQ.

These bull sharks and so much fun to get on and land and they taste great! I'm no expert, but I think many people underate shark as a recreational fish and an eating fish?

I've heard that you have to bleed, gut, skin and fillet within 30 minutes of landing and then you can eat and/or freeze.

This is what I've done and they are tasty. We did catch a few (2 weeks ago) and left them in the boat for 3 hours, then filleted them, but didn't skin them and then BBQ them with the skin on.

Well, I was crook the next day, so maybe the urea is a problem?

Anyway, they are fun to catch, they are around right now and we're landing them on nylon covered wire, 3/0 bait holder hook and half pilchard tail end.

Cheers

Judge

Judge what the go with adding a bit of salt in the bag before freezing?

I've never left skin on but always gutted, behead, tailed and iced straight away. BTW, we got 3 at Karalee on Saturday. I invited a new recipe that I'll post with my report (won't be up until Wed sorry as I won't be home). When I cooked it for my folks last night they were raving about it:)

I heard that leaving the skin on was a no-no as the urea gets gest trapped in the skin and goes back into the flesh if the skin is left on and taints the flesh.

Not sure about that.

Someone told me to add a little salt before freezing, not really sure what, maybe to stop spoilage??

Most the knowledge I have (limited) is just stuff people tell me, so who knows:)

Someone told me shark is not very nice, but I think it's because they've left the skin on and not bled and gutted them straight away. I've battered and fried it twice and it's great!

Beer batter is so easy, through some plain flour and a little salt into a bowl and just add beer until it's a nice thickness.

We're getting some bream from the logan shore off cooked tiger prawns, but they are small and catfish are running too.

Cant' seem to land shark unless it's the tail half of 20cm pilchard.

Cheers

Judge

Judge, how food tastes differs from person to person, we all have our own tastes. I tried some flake, althought it was from a slighter larger shark I caught, about 4-4.5ft. I thought it tasted like crap, but hey.. I'm not really a big seafood eater. I didn't mind some of the snapper we were catching, but that was about it.

nice catches mate. i myself have never even targeted sharks, but i am planning on it, this site has made me want to fish so many things, my list of to do is basiclly,

1. get yak and learn to fish out of it

2. learn to throw a cast net

3. learn to regularly catch tailor and mullet to use as live bait for big fish.

i have more just can't remember at this moment.

Archived