Is it wrong to laugh?

bigtez

I finally managed to get out in the boat a few times over the christmas break, and saw a couple of amusing incidents.

The first I and probably most other boaties have done. Pulled into the ramp, said gday to a sth african bloke launching his boat then went and got the car and trailer. Just as i got in my boat and started driving it to the trailer the SA bloke remembers he forgot to put his bungs in. After offering a helping hand, which he declined, he jumped in the water, screwed the bungs in and got the bilge pump going. I then had a chuckle to myself as I drove the car up the ramp.....I almost felt guilty til I heard that we being thrashed in the cricket.

The other incident was a few days later at the same ramp. While sitting in the car waiting for a mate to turn up I watched to youngish (mid 20's) fellas put their boat on the trailer and drive up the ramp and stop with the back of the boat hanging out into the road where you turn to back up to the ramp. Couple of minutes later while they a stuffing around chatting/securing the boat on the trailer, and old bloke drives past with a trailer for his 24ft Mustang. As the trailer goes past the back of th boat the mud gaurd hits the outboard leg. A few "kind" words were exchanged, the boat untangled and both were on their way no harm done. Made me laugh cause when the 2 fellas first stopped I thought I would have to direct them to the securing area before going past, maybe that incident will make 'em think next time.....

i will laugh my head off as long as there is no damage and nodoby hurt, i have done my fare share of stupid things, like going to moolloolaba, being in a big rush to fish and remembered the bungs while i was arriving at caloundra 12 mile, beat that,lol, putting in bungs 25ks from the ramp, in the middle of bloody winter too,lol. but have come a long way from those days..

Once did the bung trick at Russell Island ramp with a boat full of kids and a jetty full of people watching. Upon pulling up back at the ramp, a bloke I ended up mates with asks " Why is it so low in the water and why wont it plane". "Might be something to do with these" I replied, holding up the bungs. I kept cool and smiling but never felt quite that stupid before lol

Fishmeister wrote:

Once did the bung trick at Russell Island ramp with a boat full of kids and a jetty full of people watching. Upon pulling up back at the ramp, a bloke I ended up mates with asks " Why is it so low in the water and why wont it plane". "Might be something to do with these" I replied, holding up the bungs. I kept cool and smiling but never felt quite that stupid before lol

Haaha, well put story.

I think that sums up the feelings of 'forgetting the bung/s' very precise

after about 15 minutes tailor fishing near green island with dad in his little tinnie, I looked over at my mates boat and thought why does his boat seem bigger all of a sudden, ah well. Then got up to take a leak over the stern when all this water comes up over the false floor, HIT THE BILGE, THE BILGE I yell as water starts coming over the transom, bungs were in the centre console:blush:

dhess wrote:

Have also towed up to bribie only to find I left the electronics safely at home.

I replaced a 'dead' sounder/gps with a better unit that cost close to $2k. When I was installing the new one I discovered a 2nd inline fuse had blown and the old unit wasn't dead at all.:P

launching a mates tinny in tallebudgera creek back in '79 when he realised he'd left the bungs at home

so we manhandled the bout off the trailer onto the beach

and he went and parked the car opened the bonnet and removed a spark plug from the motor and came back down with a roll of thread tape and used the sparkplug as a bung.

wehad a great day chasing jacks up the creek and reversed the whole process when we got back

neither of us have ever forgotten the bungs since that day, we learned to put them in and tight before leaving home

Angus wrote:

So bigtez where are your reports from all these trips :P

Angus

They were good trips so I am blacking out the backgrounds of the photos as we speak:P

Actually I don't have photos so not much to report. It would read something like this.....I went fishing in the pine and caught lots of fish:P and no one will believe that without photos.....

bigtez wrote:

Angus wrote:

So bigtez where are your reports from all these trips :P

Angus

They were good trips so I am blacking out the backgrounds of the photos as we speak:P

Actually I don't have photos so not much to report. It would read something like this.....I went fishing in the pine and caught lots of fish:P and no one will believe that without photos.....

Hahaha mate im not as sceptical as some!

But I see your point.

Glad they were good trips anyway.

Angus

Tucked in a corner fishing at maroon one day a ski boat just had to keep roaring past me. When the storm rolled in later, had my boat on the trailer and the same ski boat had stayed out a little too long. I sat in the car and watched the surf crash over the transom of the boat and be swamped at the end of the ramp and sink upto its windscreen.

How sad:P

On the way back to the ramp on Tuesday I saw a 'river rat' (jetskier) that had been towing a wakeboarder with just the nose of the ski out of the water, the rest was drowned.

My mate that was with me is also a jetskier (he has one that requires a bit of talent to rideand he mostly rides it in the surf, it also has a sticker on it that says 'jet pilot: only girls sit down'). He was saying that he would have done a lot of damage to the ski. We both had a good laugh about that....

tomca wrote:

Tucked in a corner fishing at maroon one day a ski boat just had to keep roaring past me. When the storm rolled in later, had my boat on the trailer and the same ski boat had stayed out a little too long. I sat in the car and watched the surf crash over the transom of the boat and be swamped at the end of the ramp and sink upto its windscreen.

maqte i would have been rolling on the ramp killing myself laughing at them and taking photos:woohoo:

hopefully all that nice cold water did something to thier hot motor like crack the block

jeff f wrote:

tomca wrote:

maqte i would have been rolling on the ramp killing myself laughing at them and taking photos:woohoo:

hopefully all that nice cold water did something to thier hot motor like crack the block

Unfortunately the pics didn't turn out coz it was so dark and the rain so heavy. And when the v8 went under there was a shatload of steam so yeah I hope the thing split in 2.:P

its not wrong to laugh when they have been buzzin you , i was down the coomera having a troll around the M1 bridges and down towards the railway bridge , i was being buzzed by this young bloke in daddies brand new runabout , all his mates were laughing at how close he could get to us in my tinnie , i said to mick lets go to the shoals at least he wouldnt go there,,it was about ten minutes after arriving at the shoals up stream of the M1 , we caught 2 flatty and a bream on the first drift over the very shallow and rocky shoals , just casting and retreiving lures ,we had our motor tilted out of the water so not to drag on the rocks , then we hear laughing and a screaming boat heading towards us, low and behold its tosser with his mates , i said to mick surely this womble knows how to read the signs stating shoals but he didnt , he headed for mick and I , he was still full noise and only made it within 80mtrs of us then crunch bang boom , he destroyed a stainless prop and smashed the gear box open and cracked the bottom of the fibreglass boat , it was only 20-30cm deep where he hit , mick and i let out the biggest laughs and comments such as good on you wanker with around of applause!! he was stuck there good and proper until the tide comes in , lol we just motored on shallow trim on the slightly deeper part of about 50cm back to the start of the shoals and started our drift again , and just shaking our heads with giggles, as we listened to him trying to explain to daddy on the phone what he he just done to his boat and motor!!!!one of my greatest memories that lol

One of the funniest things I have seen was when I lived in Vic the boat ramp we used (indented head) was a chore when @ low tide for my 17 ft half cab as the ramp was very slippery and shallow so after a very early session my mate and I where sitting on the jetty next to the ramp enjoying a coldie when these 2 old fellas ( I"M rich looking types) showed up with a 25 ft Jenkscraft towed behind a very new looking LTD (complete with a Ram figure on the bonnet) I said to my mate this should be fun as it was dead low tide :woohoo:

Well they got themselves prep and reversed down the ramp at great speed and slammed on the brakes to launch the boat :silly: Well what happened was the boat, trailer and car slid straight into the water :silly: I mean into the water big time they pulled out after much tyre spinning etc only to find the boat still on the trailer :woohoo: so another attempt of the same and same result evry thing in the drink this time water pooring out of the back door when they opened it :silly:

Change of plan they then reversed down and busted their arses tying to push it off :angry:

we could not contain ourselves any longer and My mate walked down and unhitched the winch cable

Doh :woohoo:

we only spotted it when the last effort was made :huh:

as it worked out they had to walk this big boat out for over 50 mt's before they had enough water under it to lower the stern drive and drive away

Gaz

ps we did try to tell them the ramp was not suited to a boat that size :side: but all we got was we know what we are doing :woohoo:

down at evans head one day up river and this wanker comes roaring past us throwing a huge wake in about 1 mt of water, we got over that and moved down stream to fish just above the iron gates which are a huge rocky outcrop with a very small navigable area between the rocks. just downstream from the rocks is a very shallow sandbar and as the tide was in full swing running out it was very shallow as was the gates with about 300 mm covering them... the same bloke came roaring around the corner and straight into the sand bar all but beaching it, motor still roaring its guts out when they hit it...:woohoo: :woohoo:

we were pissing ourselves by now but the best was yet to come....:laugh:

they untangled themselves and the skipper just opened it up, we looked around at them then looked at each other then straight back to the boat which was now doing 20 knts easy, WHAMOOO straight into the rock bar ... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

he didnt back off either just opened it up more ..:laugh: :laugh:

the boat was all but out of the water by this stage and like a bucking bronco on the rocks, scraping and grinding and smashing its way over the rocks, we were fully pissing ourselves in total disbelief as to what we were seeing, and low and behold he got it off the reef :blink::unsure:

as he came past us he said to us 'did that keep you guys entertained' we were still laughing, a woman on the boat had a towel up to her face covered in blood which would have happened when he smashed the first sandbar.... that kinda stopped us laughing so hard

bloody goose .... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Archived