Tally Creek 8/1

wint0nlc

I woke up about 2am, i dont know why i was not planning a fish. I thought i may as well start my day, so i grabbed my bag and was out the door and into the car.

Fuel, a sausage roll and an ice coffee later. I arrive at tally bridge and drive over it on my way to elsewhere when i decide to turn around as there are a few people on the bridge and i have got enough time to have a look here.

Get there and decide to cast from the bank up towards the bridge, tide is running in and there is a lot of surface action. I tried a variety of HBs and nothing seemed to be working for me. Just as i was about to change locations one of the guys on the bridge pulled out a monster lizard... It was still quite dark but from what i saw it would have went around 70-80cm. As far as i am aware they were using some kind of bait. Anyway im off to try my luck elsewhere.

Arrive at elsewhere and venture down the bank to once side of the river and have a couple of casts with no interest shown. And being i have only fished here once before i did not even know where to start + its still dark and i cannot see shizwizzle. Then i heard this constant thrashing about on the other side of the river so i rather excitedly make my way over there... I enter stealth mode as i commando through the bush toward these feeding feins, pop out at a suitable spot and it goes quiet... Into the snag i cast, retrieve, cast... slight twitch of the lure and blam! Zzzzzzz massive first run i didnt think i was going to be able to stop him at first! i waited it out then started to pull him close a bit and again he is off! I loosened the drag a little, using 4lb main line i was scared of being snapped off, i just couldnt handle the tragedy after my Brunswick Heads bream ordeal. There is still another fish smashing up the surface while im fighting this one, i make a mental note you are next mowahaha. After about 2 more runs and 3 minutes i finally get him to the bank. I step down and grab him, now i have him yes! but i also have a soggy toe.

I run to my bag to get my phone to take a pic... hmmm not there so i run to the car, mid excited walk/run i fear i did not bring my phone therefor no photographic evidence. However my fears subside when i locate my phone in the little pocket below the radio. I take a pic on the road, unhooked him and ran him down to the water and release him to fight another day!

My first trevally! Scientific measurements drawn from the picture - fish against rod and rod against 30cm roll of aluminium foil indicate this beast of the shallows to be approximately equal to 38cm. Im not sure what he weighed but he was a thick little one!

The the trevallys quietened down a bit after that, or at least where i could access them. There were still a few in the main basin. There were a few bream nailing the surface in one around some pylons i tried a few different small poppers first, then some little bibbed bream lures and SPs but i just couldn't tempt them, only seemed to freak them. Had a walk and a cast but not much going on so i just enjoyed the early morning, cut my toe, saw little baby birds in their nest in the tree, got chased by the mumma bird, saw a nice flower, went home.

But ill be back tomorrow! :fishing:

cpetrie wrote:

good report mate, it was an interesting read.

mate, first trev nice, i'm still trying to get my first, it makes it hard when i'm landbased.

Hey mate i am land based also, i know it does make things a bit more difficult.

However just look forward to the experience you will have under your belt when you get into a boat!

cpetrie wrote:

good report mate, it was an interesting read.

mate, first trev nice, i'm still trying to get my first, it makes it hard when i'm landbased.

There are quite a lot of good fishing places around mate that dont require a boat, or where a boat is of no real advantage.

Its just a reearch mission.

I wish I had more time to prospect myself!

Respect must be paid to 2:00am missions in new locations :) GOod work again.

Angus

Mack_attack wrote:

Nice trevally mate, as angus said respect to those who wake up at 2 for a fish :)

hahahaha.

Its one of those funny situations.

Everytime I get up at like 2 or 3 the first thing im thinking is: "Angus your an idiot what are you doing".

However being on the water at dawn flicking lures, just awesome. The fish are a bonus :)

Angus

Yeah i have not had many early sessions, but each early fish just seems to top the last one. Its so good sneeking around with a fishing rod in hand while it is still dark. To tell you the truth sometimes it can be a little bit spooky around bushes and under dark bridges :blush:

Paul - I got him on an SX40 in 303 colour, vampire i believe it is called. I was using a 1-3kilo rod with sol 2000 reel 4lbs braid/6lbs leader, pretty much just a standard light setup. It was a lot of fun, it had some good fight in it! Took me for a ride thats for sure.

Archived