Rock Salt

Bri The Pom

Yep, as Cowfish mentioned.

The reason for adding salt into the ice and water mix, is that salt water has a much lower freezing point. As such you can have the liquid (salt) water below 0. Then because the water is below 0, the ice doesn't melt because the ice is just fresh water which as we all know has a freezing point of 0.

As for those reuseable ice blocks, my impression was taht they're not straight water but rather a mixture wihch has a lower freezing point of water anyway?

Those reuasble ice bricks already have a solution in them anf are normally a sealed unit.

I use the 2.4L and 3L juice containers and add about a cup of salt to each and fill with fresh water. They set as hard a rocks and stay frozen for longer. They just sit in the bottom of the chest freezer and get hauled out to use.

Also if you get a chance and are purchasing servo ice, buy it the day before and bring it home and put in your freezer. Domestic freezers run at about -16C whereas the cool rooms at the Quik E Mart are about -4C

fishingnut wrote:

roobs wrote:
i think it's got to do with the conductivity of the water and ionic charge creating an endothermic reaction...

well said mate, makes so much more sence now:blink: :blink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my thought exactly :laugh: :laugh:

Enodothermic reaction means it takes heat out of the surrounding environment = colder temps

Ionic charge = +ve and -ve ions (salt = ionic compound; therefore you add ions to the water)

I don't know if the statements true or not (havn't got that far) but those terms are right. All I know is that it makes the water bloody cold, and gets colder with the more salt you add (to a point obviously)

Archived