Sharking Social Kookaburra Park - 31st Jan-1st Feb

Angus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shall be there i recon. most likley

:fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :dry: :dry: :dry: :angry: :angry: :unsure: :ohmy: :ohmy: :huh:;) :cheer:

wesfish wrote:

i just use the twist and melt nylon coated wire and make the traces up my self, i know some people use the pre made trace with a snap one end and a swivel the other usually 30cm trace i think, you can use them just make sure you got at least 60lb mono leader for about 1-1.2mtr..

Ive seen the twist and melt leader wire in 40,60,90 lb.

Was BS would you suggest.

bri.

Liquor Box wrote:

does anywhere know of any tackle shops that sell wire traces and hooks pre-rigged? I have only seen massive ones that would be for huge sharks, not 4ft models.

I usually go to Charltons, but have never really looked for this- so it may be in front of my face!

Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo stock a reasonable range of sharking rigs for the lazier amongst us (me included).

trwarren83 wrote:

so fri night or sat nioght?

Both if you want.

I have outlined in the front page when the BBQ etc is and people can fish anytime around that. A few token prizes will be given out Saturday afternoon however so any sharking down after that is purely social.

Angus

Only the very occasional seems to be getting harder and harder suppousedly there is a pro fisher around Goodna boat ramp using set lines, which probaly explains why they are getting harder to get. Also the water quality after the heavy rains still very dirty needs to return to its more brackish colour.

Last Wednesday 3.9kg bully on 3 inch mullet.

What i have found best is either 3 inch or 4 inch

mullet any bigger and that reduces the risk of a fish or not. Had better results on mullet rather than bony bream or sand pike.

Best to date in that area is 17kg bully not far from kooka boat ramp 6kg bait caster out fit 20lb braid 30lb wire leader 3inch mullet. A few threadies on the go being young they a nice silver sheen to them.

Cheer Jamie

down stream about 30 meters past the red marker that was there before the flood water went through, run out tide. the water channels in there so they all have to swim through it. 17kg took for ever to land swam around anchor rope a few very tense moments but let go to fight another day. Mate you will have better results hooking your mullet through the lips rather than through the back.

Cheers Jamie

This is from a previous post LIVE BAITING MULLET FOR SHARKS

have to agree with feral last 4 bullys have been hooking mullet through top lip. They also live alot longer. Its a prefernce you cant say that either way doesnt work. smallest bully 4kg to biggest 17kg, through top lip.

The other option is using two hook rig first one through the lip, the other two half hitches around the tail keep it short around 5cm long so doesnt get caught on leader as it runs down the body. This way you have the best of both worlds and it does work.

I think it depends on the size and breed of shark you are chasing, you are not going to put on a 10cm herring if you are chasing a toothy monster from the deep.

Cheers

Jamie

I personally fish Kooka once to twice a week depending on wife i would recomend a 2 hook rig works for me.

I hope lads and lasses this has been helpful see ya there.

Archived