Bream as Live Bait?

heidii

to use any fish for bait it must meet legal size limits before it can be used for bait, so bream (pikey) must be 23cms untill the new size limit applies which will make it 25cms. as for boney bream i dont think a size limit applies to them and maybe used at what ever size

thanks guys!

Yeh i find they live forever as live bait even with a hook in them, and easy to catch too! I used one last night and in the morning my line was nearly spooled as all 3 hooks were gone!...maybe it was a bullie.

My dad had a go at me when he found out i was using bream...i guess i will have to try and stay away from those ones as live bait then! :dry:

Even bigger leagle sized bream are good for live bait if your targeting sharks, but there are heaps of other live bait alternatives rather than using undersized fish. I've soken to some "ethnic" fishing companions who happened to be fishing the same spot recently, they were catching undersized bream and then filleting them and using the flesh and gut for bait, I guess alot of people dont even think to check limits and sizes, maybe fishing licences are not a bad idea haha.. a one day course for new fisherman that lets them know all the info.. who knows..:unsure:

Jordan wrote:

No, hurting the fish completeley defeats the purpose of having live baits. you want the bait to be as active and liveley as possible - hence why trevally are good bait. People who hack at their live bait before sending it out generally arnt to smart.

Ok thanks Jordan :)

heidii wrote:

I used one last night and in the morning my line was nearly spooled as all 3 hooks were gone!...maybe it was a bullie.

Was it a set line?

I was at Tackle world this morning and the guy behind the counter said it was illegal to set a line and leave it untended and then come back later

nadders wrote:

i always wondered about that fonz, i was at coomera a few weeks back and there was heaps of trev action on the surface and every so often a huge splash of bullie chasing them. was pretty fun to watch, didnt catch anything though :)
last year we had all our small trevs sharked in the lake at the top of the coomera saltwater, it was funny trying to get em in before the little bullies got em , for the trevs if you troll pick the pace up a little and that allways worked for me to get the trevs,

Archived