favourite table fish

noname

Bri,

Lemonade batter is just seasoned plain flour and lemonade to make a runny consistency. I much prefer a real light coat of batter, rather than 1/2 thick stuff caked on the outside, but personal choice.

I am very much the amateur for filleting, learnt it all from Benno, but here goes with the theory. Just dont ask me to show you in person.

Take 1 flathead, tip him on his side and cut straight down to the backbone behind the second set of fins. Repeat on other side. Now lay the fish down as if he was swimming away (sorry :ohmy: ) and start to run your knife down the top of the fish on each side of the backbone. You will feel the rib cage and cut through that and when the knife is about at the bum area you can puch the knife right through and cut down to the tail. That should have the side off the fish, so no repeat the other side.

Lay fillet skin side down on the board and at the thick end you will feel the bones, I cut a V into the flesh there with pointy end towards the tail, and if you do it right all the bones will come out with a wedge of flesh.

Now... here is where I it goes pear shaped for me. Get a sharp sharp knife, and while laying fish skin side down on board work the knife in between the skin and flesh, then with the knife parallel with the board, drag the fish, working it side to side so the knife is cutting the skin from the flesh.

If you do it well, you end up with some good boneless fillets, if you dont do it well you end up with blood....LOL

Hope it helps

Bri The Pom wrote:

Booty

How about the recipe for the flathead and batter,do you fillet or skin or cook whole

Im catching a few flathead atm but return them because i don't enjoy them,but everybody seems to rate them.

Must be my cooking.

bri.

A tip on filleting flathead.

If the Flatties are of a decent size and you have sliced the fillets off.

Run your knife the full length of the fillet on one side of the center bones but not all the way through.

This flattens the fillet out and makes it easier to skin.

Skin the fillet then run your knife on the other side of the bones ( ribs cage )

Remove the bones and you are left with a skinless, boneless tasty fillet

My tip for skinning.... Fillet the fish as usual, and remove the rib bones if necessary. Use a very flexible, very sharp knife. Place the fillet on a flat surface. Dig the thumb of the hand not holding the knife into the very end of the tail end of the fish, and nick between the flesh and the skin. Don't move the fish or the skin at all. Then, in one continuous movement run the knife between the skin and the flesh until you reach the other end. Becomes hard if you stop halfway or move the fish. Once you have done it a few times it is easy and much quicker than scaling, especially hard to scale fish like parrot.

Archived